100% Remote I US & Canada
About Test Double
Software is broken, and we're working hard to fix it. While the goal may seem audacious, it's what drives us. We're consultants who embed remotely with client teams and take on interesting challenges. We are looking for voracious learners who find ways to deliver value quickly. We use whatever tools and processes our clients use, so we're always learning new technologies and techniques. We're also empathetic collaborators joining teams facing all kinds of challenges, which means we're continually growing our ability to have an impact as consultants.
Test Double provides a supportive environment where consultants can have autonomy and thrive. We were 100% remote before it was fashionable, and offer 10% paid Growth Time every week. Plus, we stay connected as a wider team through weekly hangouts, coffee chats, employee resource groups and more. Many of us give back by contributing to open source, blogging or speaking, or working on our Great Causes initiative. We’re a 100% employee owned company, and consultants’ internal contributions make a real impact! We also empower people to identify problems, build consensus, and develop solutions. Sound amazing? Read on for more on the position and benefits!
What Is a DevOps Consultant?
We help client teams use DevOps practices to create more observable, sustainable and predictable environments by integrating operations capabilities into development teams.
At Test Double, we believe DevOps is not a formal position or set of skills, but rather a culture of software developers who believe in continuous improvement. DevOps Consultants help build the DevOps team at Test Double by developing a common set of tools and code, and mentoring both clients and other agents on best practices.
DevOps Consultants are developers who achieve success by working within existing client teams to automate code pipelines, ensure high-availability and disaster recovery, establish observability and feedback loops, and implement/maintain baseline security controls. We focus on solving client problems with solutions to empower technical teams to gain ownership of delivery processes and insight into deployed systems across a variety of business domains. It’s critical to draw on a wide knowledge base of best practices and tools, as each assignment brings new challenges.
What Is Expected of a DevOps Consultant?
DevOps consultants consistently deliver high quality infrastructure, and generously share their knowledge and experience. We actively pair with and mentor other consultants and client developers on infrastructure best practices. Our engagements include acting as a consultant alongside larger teams at large clients, and taking on more leadership in mentoring, establishing processes and modeling best practices at smaller clients.
DevOps Consultants deliver solutions that break down barriers between development and operations teams, while elevating and expanding the overall quality, culture and reach of the teams they work with. Building software in close collaboration with client teams gives us the opportunity to learn from one another and share our knowledge and experience—making a deeper impact by coaching and mentoring others on healthy, more sustainable and scalable DevOps practices.
Specific ways in which we accomplish these goals are by:
- Delivering primary DevOps solutions to clients, along with a variety of tools:
- Cloud Architecture and Deployment in at least one major cloud provider
- Kubernetes Administration
- Infrastructure as Code
- Configuration Management
- CI/CD Pipelines
- Monitoring and Observability
- Creating high-quality infrastructure to meet the needs of its users and businesses
- Applying security best practices in deployment pipelines and cloud environments
- Helping clients achieve Service Level Agreements and Service Level Objectives by providing observable infrastructure
- Implementing high-availability and disaster recovery architecture
- Identifying technology, communication, and process issues and proposing improvements
- Sharing best practices for cloud architecture that are fault tolerant, highly available, and cost effective for the client’s business
- Mentoring by sharing experience and knowledge with client developers and operations teams so they are well-positioned to succeed, even long after we're gone
- Collaborating internally with other Test Double agents on infrastructure best practices
- Learn new frameworks, languages, tech and techniques to adapt to changing client needs
- Communicate openly and honestly with everyone, even if news will not be positively received
Our Team Culture
We support clients in challenging situations and foster engagement on project teams. We balance pragmatism in delivery with principled quality standards. We encourage other team members, guiding them to better solutions and approaches in ways that help those team members grow.
We are open and honest communicators, modeling that behavior with our clients and fostering a culture of interconnectedness within client teams. We establish supportive and trusting relationships with our client teams, and with our fellow Double Agents.
All TD Double Agents are encouraged to:
- Collaborate with other agents on internal processes and initiatives to help the company accomplish its mission to improve how the world builds software
- Contributing to the growth of other consultants in the organization through activities like internal presentations, pairing and mentoring, providing timely growth-focused feedback, sponsoring agents on new opportunities, and connecting agents with others across the organization
- Consistently contributing to Test Double’s growth in areas like candidate outreach and qualification, marketing (blogging, screencasts), community (speaking, meet-ups, panels) and open-source presence, and expanding technological capabilities
- Reinforcing a culture of inclusion and continuous improvement
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years of experience in DevOps, cloud computing or operations
- 3+ years of experience in consulting
- Strong understanding of Configuration Management tools like Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- Strong understanding of Infrastructure as Code tools like Terraform
- CI/CD Pipelines like Jenkins, CircleCI, Github Action, GitLabs CI/CD
- Containerized deployment strategies like Kubernetes, AWS Elastic Container Service, Docker
- Observability and monitoring tools like CloudWatch, Grafana, DataDog
- Low ego, high emotional intelligence (EQ), and a mindset of continuous improvement
- Experience leading teams in decomposing work and maintaining a healthy backlog that is valuable to the business
- Experience balancing competing priorities and influencing teams towards high quality software development practices
- Ability to communicate effectively across different levels or positions within an organization
- Proficiency in designing, architecting, and refactoring systems of moderate complexity worked on by teams of 10+
- Ability to resolve conflict and issues within the delivery team
- Experience in mentoring and leading the technical direction of software engineers
Compensation: Our salary range for this role is $150,000 - $170,000 USD
All TD Double Agents receive:
- 5 weeks paid time off (vacation and sick time)
- 10 paid holidays
- 10% paid Growth Time each week
- Up to 14 weeks parental leave (8 weeks at 100% of salary)
- 1 week of conference attendance (and up to $3,000 of expense)
- ESOP Employee stock ownership program - Test Double is 100% employee owned
- New computer hardware purchase every 3 years
- Co-working space reimbursement (1/2 rent up to $500 monthly)
- 2 week Sabbatical leave after 5th year
US-based agents receive:
- Health Insurance via United Healthcare (we pay 75% of premiums)
- Dental Insurance via United Healthcare (we pay 50% of premiums)
- Vision Insurance via United Healthcare (we pay 50% of premiums)
- 401(k) via Vanguard (we contribute 3% of your salary)
- Short and Long Term Disability via UNUM (we pay 100% of premiums)
Canadian agents receive:
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement contribution match up to 3% of employee's salary