Responsible in assisting in the overall execution of product development and its associated activities, which are focused on achieving product development milestones and will assure that products are brought to market in a timely fashion. Working with the Product Development Manager, helps manage project management timelines and business needs required to develop each product line and brand assigned, including design intent, manufacturability, and costing, while ensuring all quality standards are proactively met. Also serves as the liaison within the company, as well as, freelance design, Asia project managers, contract manufactures, and key international subsidiaries, to ensure new product development efforts are focused, well-coordinated and obtain key development milestone timelines and profitability.
Product Development (65%)
• Assist the Product Development Manager all aspects of product development, from concept to market
• Create and regularly maintain all project management software; i.e. Smartsheets
• Maintain and update project documentation and regularly communicate to the team of any changes and/or updates.
• Liaise cross functionally to ensure that product meets functional specifications, licensor standards and safety requirements.
• Assist in Interfacing with key vendors/suppliers and Asia product managers, to ensure a smooth business process
• Collaborate closely with Asia product managers to ensure concept phase and production phases align.
• Identify communication shortfalls and schedule regular conference calls with Asia counterparts to resolve issues in a timely fashion.
• Help coordinate design approvals with respective licensors and/or stake holders throughout the development process.
• Request and document 3D model costs, product unit costs and tooling costs as received from Asia Product Managers and suppliers
• Verify necessary changes are communicated to the responsible party and executed, elevating concerns to the Product Manager, Sr. Director of Product Development, SVP of Product Development and Brand Team lead.
• Ensure that all outsourced work is quoted in a timely fashion and approved prior to work performed.
• Help verify that potential expenditures are in line with the proposed development budget of the item and negotiate competitive pricing with vendors and external partners
• Liaise with Brand Managers to build licensor relationships and coordinate design approvals with respective licensors and/or stake holders throughout the development process by collaborating throughout development to achieve design and performance requirements while advising on costing, manufacturing, and scheduling parameters.
• Work with Brand Management Team to develop competitive assessments and research trends to identify future opportunities and to develop product expansion strategies for successful product lines.
• Assist in responsibility for assortment and item number set up and ongoing updates.
• Work with Brand Management and Design Teams to coordinate the timely creation and placement of development, photography and presentation models/samples.
Sales Support (5%)
• Gather domestic and international field input on new and existing products.
• Solicit and incorporate sales input into the development of new products
• Participate in key account calls, as needed
• Collaborate with Sales to plan and execute effective presentations and achieve profitability targets.
Ongoing Product Line Management/Maintenance (30%)
• Ensure item master is accurate and updated on an ongoing basis (costing, factory info, product dimensions, etc...)
• Track/analyze sales & profitability of new & existing products
• Work w/Sales and Contract Manufacturing to proactively manage inventory (excess, backorders, etc.)
• College degree required
• Experience in consumer products (children’s toys preferred)
• Domestic and Overseas travel experience (preferred, not required)
Years of Related Experience:
• 3+ years in product development/product management/project management in a consumer product industry, preferably toy related.
• Product development and manufacturing knowledge preferred
• Strong project management, planning and multi-tasking skills.
• Organized, self-motivate, with a proactive approach to managing and executing projects.
• Ability to use independent judgment, analyze information and formulate recommendations and solve problems.