We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced HPC professional to lead our Compute team within our Technical Services Cluster (TSC), serving an institute of over 800 researchers and technical staff. You will be working closely with members of the TSC, and more widely with technical users across EMBL-EBI, overseeing the design, deployment and operation of our HPC clusters. The EMBL-EBI has multiple large HPC clusters to support the large data flows and processing services fundamental to EMBL-EBI activities.
The services you will provide, along with the TSC, enable EMBL-EBI’s technical research and administrative staff to process and make the world’s public biological data freely available to the scientific community via a range of services and tools, perform basic research and provide professional training in bioinformatics.
EMBL-EBI is custodian to an ever-increasing volume of data which is made publicly available and is processed internally via multiple HPC clusters, virtualization platforms and private & public clouds. This position offers you the chance to lead a great team, delivering compute services via a range of high end HPC hardware and storage.
As Compute Lead, under the direction of the Head of Infrastructure, you will:
- Lead the compute team, setting and tracking objectives, mentoring, and developing team members
- Architect, design and implement future EMBL-EBI compute infrastructure
- Ensure the operation, reliability, and integrity of EMBL-EBI's compute resources
- Drive automation and change which will simplify management and increase efficiency
- Ensure reporting interfaces are in place to deliver monitoring and accounting of the compute infrastructure
- Drive best practice and efficient usage of the compute infrastructure through positive relationships with key stakeholders across the EMBL-EBI community
- Ensure documentation is of standard
- Manage the implementation of technical projects
- Oversee the sharing of knowledge, training and continuous development within the team
- Foster a cohesive and comfortable working environment, mediating any interpersonal issues within the team and providing leadership and direction where necessary
- Remain aware of and aligned to broader TSC and EMBL-EBI strategies
You will work both collaboratively and with a reasonable degree of autonomy and regularly present your work back to collaborators and stakeholders to gather feedback.
You might also have:
Why join us
- Experience with cloud technologies, including Google or AWS certification
- Experience with various network technologies, such as Ethernet and Infiniband
- Experience with storage systems, and ideally parallel file systems such as Lustre and GPFS
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
Working at EMBL-EBI
Join our diverse team and help power the next generation of discoveries in the life sciences.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- Your application: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.