Buying a used car has been essentially the same for 75 years: what’s the mileage, what’s the vehicle history, get a mechanic to check out the moving parts and haggle over the price. As electric vehicles (EVs) hit the used market, buyers are changing the way they research and buy.
Recurrent is the future of how used electric cars are bought and sold. We’ll be entering the established online auto marketplace business on the basis of a unique differentiator, our independent EV battery reports. As the first mover on used EV battery analysis, we have the best set of cross-manufacturer battery aging data to develop the most accurate predictive algorithm for future battery life and range.
Why are we doing this? Road vehicles represent 20% of carbon emissions globally, and have accounted for the vast majority of transportation emissions increase since 1970. Electrifying passenger vehicles, in parallel with transitioning our power grid to cleaner energy sources, really moves the needle on climate. We’re going to be a critical part of making that shift -- facilitating the secondary market.
You will join the founding team to design, build, and ship a product that helps consumers buy used electric cars. You will have the opportunity to significantly impact product design and direction based on a solid understanding of customer needs.
As an engineer at Recurrent, you’ll…
- Work closely with a small cross functional team to quickly design and build new features from the ground up.
- Have the opportunity to work across the entire stack, including database and API design, data science pipelines, and frontend user interface implementation.
- Integrate with various third party APIs to fetch data for use in our data science pipelines.
- Maintain service infrastructure and help improve the reliability of our software.
This job might be for you if you have...
- The ability and desire to learn new technologies and tools. While not required, preferably you have some experience in the tools and technologies we use, including: React (Next.js & TypeScript) on the frontend, Ruby on Rails on the backend, Python in our data science pipeline, and AWS infrastructure.
- Leadership qualities. As a senior developer on our team, you will help us make important architectural choices. You will also play an important role in developing the hiring process for our growing team, as well as helping nurture junior developers we may hire in the future.
- The outlook of a generalist. You are willing and excited to work on all parts of the stack. We have user-facing features with UI to deliver, as well as plenty of backend work including extensive data modeling tasks, building and maintaining third-party API integrations, and supporting our data science pipeline infrastructure.
- A collaborative working style. With a small remote-first team like ours where everything is moving fast, it's easy to get out of sync with each other. Great products are only built by teams who work together effectively, so good collaboration and communication are essential to our success.
- A pragmatic attitude. Not everything we build will be built to perfection. We want to build quality software, but our first goal is to build a sustainable business. We have to balance our efforts appropriately.
Location: This job can be based anywhere in the U.S. in a time zone that is reasonably compatible with Pacific. We’re a remote-first company that is currently clustered in the Pacific Northwest, but we want to work with great folks wherever they are.
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at Recurrent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.