What You'll Contribute
Senior UX Designers power the transformation of multi-channel digital products and services, practicing the craft of user experience as an integral member of full-cycle product development teams; leading ideation and design strategy efforts with partner product owners and development teams; directly taking on interaction design and information architecture questions for complex products and processes; and steering iterative cycles of concept creation, prototype refinement, and customer feedback.
A Senior UX Designer can independently lead and facilitate design strategy and customer discovery / learning projects, advance product design efforts small and large to delivery on their own and in collaboration with other designers, advocate for the impact of customer centric approaches on the business strategy, and shape design group processes, tools, and assets based on substantial experience and perspective.
We are seeking an adept and innovative practitioner who will directly evolve and enhance the full spectrum of Sallie Mae’s digital experiences and business channels serving ~10 million active customers, including SallieMae.com and all customer-facing applications, offerings, products, information, and tools, as well as our multi-channel customer-service experiences, business partner and operational portals, and native mobile apps.
As a Senior UX Designer, you will be a leader in a high-performing and innovative group of strategists, content writers, researchers, and developers driven to help define and deliver game-changing, end-to-end digital experiences that simplify the complex across digital platforms and devices. You will partner closely with stakeholders in Product, IT, Marketing, Operations, and Analytics to achieve high-value outcomes, and position design effectively to pursue and deliver innovative, experience-led product strategies. You’ll be a key contributor to Agile teams validating business hypotheses and supporting delivery through design.
You are an ideal candidate if you love what you do, are energized by solving customer and business problems to deliver elegant design solutions, and would like to shape our culture with your contagious enthusiasm. You have a proven record, curious mind, embrace challenge, are outcomes oriented, and desire to improve things. You are skilled at human-centered design and UX practices and have a critical eye for design quality.
This role can be performed in a hybrid location capacity, meaning a mix of in person and remote work arrangements.
What You'll Do
• Plans, participates in and independently completes design activities throughout the product and service life-cycle, from building understanding and empathy, through ideation, product definition, iterative design and delivery, going-to-market, and evolution
• Draws from the full spectrum of design disciplines including interaction design, service design, design research, information architecture, visual design, content design, design strategy, etc. to improve customer experiences from end to end.
• Works collaboratively with partner making disciplines such as Engineering, and Product Management on framing problems, discovering insights, crafting effective strategies, articulating strong experience-center edvisions, defining concepts and prototypes, and guiding iterative development of new and existing offerings
• Participates in simultaneous efforts for a key customer segment or group of related product and service offerings across digital and real-world channels
• Combines design thinking, lean methods, and agile delivery practices in support of integrated delivery, continuous learning, and strategic alignment
• Undertakes and advocates for user-centered approaches to exploring new capabilities such as machine / artificial intelligence, automation, and conversational experiences
• Defines and communicates intended end-to-end user experiences to product development audiences and stakeholders
• Participates in and plans learning (design research)efforts to validate hypotheses and assumptions, generate insights, and gather feedback for enhancing user experiences
• Contributes to and lead the evolution of design systems supporting products, services, and interactions across applications, form factors, and channels
• Works closely with the business by being the voice of the customer and balancing business goals and user satisfaction
• Mentors junior team members and educate partners and peers from other disciplines on user experience
• Manages the design process, drive external and internal team decisions, track risks and issues
• Facilitates group collaboration and drive team to consensus.
• Cultivates an environment where others feel valued regardless of their organizational level, experience or background