TOMY is a global leader in the creation of children’s toys, games and juvenile products. We have an open position for an experienced Design Director with a broad perspective on various juvenile product sub-categories. Candidates should have experience in the creation of differentiated baby products of various materials, mechanisms and technologies. This is a team leadership role with a focus on industrial design and engineering solutions across three strong consumer brand businesses that includes The First Years, Boon and JJCole.
Education/Experience: Degree in Industrial Design; with a minimum 10 years in design leadership.
• Manage, mentor and develop a team of industrial designers and product engineers to generate highly differentiated consumer products that achieve commercial success.
• Guide and evolve the design DNA for multiple established consumer brands.
• Be a champion for product innovation throughout the organization, creating new business opportunities in support of our long term brand strategies.
• Direct and manage design development timelines and achieve on-time schedules.
• Work with third parties to support the development of innovation including new technologies, inventions, patents, material solutions and mechanical applications.
• Maintain insight and knowledge of the fast changing world of children’s juvenile products, understanding consumer needs, trends, fashions and new technologies.
• Leading advocate for identifying new gaps and/or white space in the juvenile products market.
• Integration of consumer research into practical product solutions.
• Ability and skills to personally contribute in the creation of concepts, execute industrial design solutions and solve complex product development issues.
• Drive the development of new products from concept to production across multiple juvenile products categories, with an eye toward improving speed to market.
• Support cross-functional management across the organization including brand marketing, product integrity, project management, international product development teams in China, and executive management in corporate headquarters.
• Interact, manage and build long term relationships with all external partners, including designers, engineers, inventors, licensors and other stakeholders.
• Ability to adapt to the ever-changing business environment in order to grow sales.
• Present new product concepts to internal and external stakeholders, including TOMY’s executive management and retail buyers.
• Proven track record of being a high performer and true professional in everything that you do.
• Excellent understanding of design methodology, materials, mechanics, engineering and manufacturing processes.
• Ability to articulate insight driven design solutions.
• Strong communications skills, particularly in the creation and delivery of conceptual ideas and customer product presentations.
• Ability to manage, mentor, inspire and develop multiple designers
• Proficient with hand sketches and fluency with Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Familiar with technology tools: Adobe Creative suite, Adobe Acrobat, Sketchbook Pro, Soildworks, Keyshot, Ultimaker Cura, and Microsoft Office.
We are looking for people who are passionate about being part of a diverse team, where different backgrounds, experience and opinions are valued and incorporated into our daily work. We want to welcome people into our company that like to collaborate, take on challenges and value a wide variety of global views about consumers, brands, processes, and products.