City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
1374 Special Assistant XV, MTA (Principal Design Strategist)
Salary: $140,166.00 - $170,352.00 annually
The Office of Design Strategy and Delivery uses a human-centered design process that is collaborative, data driven, and iterative. The team designs unique solutions to the most complex problems facing the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) and mobility in San Francisco by leading and supporting mission-critical internal and external work streams and initiatives. Team members lead multiple major strategic programs and policy initiatives building alignment across multiple Agency divisions and units through the practice of strategic and human-centered design. Structure is brought to ambiguous problems resulting in projects and programs that change policies, systems, processes, and procedures. This consulting group provides program development, management and implementation services for major Agency initiatives, insightful review and perspective of organizational and business systems designed to maximize project delivery capacity and effectiveness of the SFMTA, and strategic advice to senior and executive management.
The Principal Design Strategist will have primary responsibility to cultivate depth in the craft of interaction design of complex tools, systems and services as an individual contributor, a mentor and guide for the agency and as a leader within the global community practice of mobility and design. You will often be the backbone of your projects from beginning to end. You will plan, prioritize, and deliver interaction design activities autonomously, in the context of interdisciplinary projects - leading divisional client conversations within your portfolio, providing articulate recommendations and helping guide client choices. You will lead project teams and development pursuits for major agency programs and initiatives. You will share your expertise internally and externally through training, development of new tools and methods, and thought leadership. A successful candidate will be excited to walk into an environment of public service, advance the practice of design through a lens of equity, systems change, and co-design practices. This is an exciting opportunity to demonstrate, inspire, and model creativity, inclusivity, and rigor to build long-lasting and impactful solutions.
Key Design Strategy projects this position will lead include:
• SFMTA Building Progress Program Implementation
• SFMTA Design & Visualization Program Development and Implementation
• Transportation 2050 Program Development and Implementation
• San Francisco Transit System Rider Experience Research Report
• National Transit Adaptation Strategy Development
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Manages projects across divisional lines; makes recommendations on priorities, makes compromises and builds consensus among clients, partners and stakeholders with conflicting needs.
• Conducts primary and secondary research, including trend benchmarking and comparative analysis using both qualitative and quantitative data to generate insights and opportunity areas for further exploration.
• Reviews complex systems or large volumes of data and content to represent them in simplified models and bridge the gap between research insights and tangible concepts.
• Leads the synthesis process using in-field research and observation, data gathering and interviews to identify themes and insights, finding synergies, connections, and patterns to guide design decisions.
• Translates business and operational requirements into user stories and creates frameworks such as customer journeys, service blueprints or ecosystem maps based on inputs from research.
• Leads and participates in creative brainstorming sessions with clients and internal project teams.
• Leverages research insights and communicates design solutions to inform direction across different audiences both internal and external.
• Refines concepts into meaningful narratives that speak to operational effectiveness in service delivery, technical feasibility, organizational set up or development and change management.
• Manages risks, formulates strategies, and establishes priorities to achieve project or programmatic results; assembles and coordinates cross-functional teams and working groups of staff, managers and stakeholders.
• Monitors project related work schedules and completion dates.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; AND
2. Five (5) years of professional interaction design or user experience (UX) design experience (with titles such as Interaction Designer, UX designer, UX researcher, experience designer, service designer or product designer).
Substitution:?Possession of a Masters degree may substitute for one year of the required professional experience.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date unless otherwise noted. One year of full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week.) Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify candidates advancing to the interview process and/or to identify job finalist(s) at the end of the selection process when referred for hiring.
• Experience with service design, design systems, and agile methodologies.
• Experience using basic principles of visual design and related tools (e.g., Sketch, Adobe Creative Cloud)
• Confident presentation and storytelling abilities.
• Experience collaborating in multifunctional teams.
• Experience working collaboratively with various business and operational functions in a variety of settings.
• Proficiency with contemporary design and prototyping tools and methods.
• Experience using strong communication, influence and strategic thinking skillsets to articulate proposals and advocate for better user experiences.
• Highly developed design skills, demonstrated in a portfolio of recent work.
To view the full job posting in detail and apply online, please click on the following link: