SchooLinks is a globally distributed, remote-friendly, and venture-backed startup. SchooLinks is an ed-tech company that is changing how students explore and pursue their post-high school goals. We have a suite of over 80 tools for students and school staff including college application management, course planning, financial situations, personality assessments, college profiles, and many others.
We presently do not have the ability to sponsor H1-B Visas
What you'll do:
- Work on a talented product development team focused on delivering high-quality ed-tech software
- Write pragmatic and well-structured test cases in TestRail
- Execute manual tests in the UI and API tests via Postman to ensure delivered functionality matches the acceptance criteria outlined in user stories and does not cause regressions.
- Triage and debug production issues, assign them appropriately and validate them when fixed
- Track and report QA metrics, for example, defect densities, open defect counts, build-production defect ratio.
- Develop and expand the integration tests written using the Python Selenium driver.
We're looking for people who have:
- 5+ years of professional QA experience
- Experience writing and documenting test plans for complex products with multiple user types and complex data inputs and context
- Experience executing tests and documenting bugs in JIRA. You should also be able to determine the source of a bug (FE, BE, API, data, etc)
- Comfortable testing APIs with Postman
- Comfortable with ambiguity and making judgement calls about expected behavior. As a startup, we have some documented requirements and behavior, but you must also be comfortable inferring some behavior and also being able to know when to ask team members
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Comfortable working on an agile team that is globally distributed
- Script in Python and be comfortable with pandas and data tools to examine data and check for certain patterns
- Be able to use the Python Selenium driver to write integration tests using BDD/behave/cucumber
- Nice to have
- If you know Django and are comfortable with the ORM and Django admin, this is a MAJOR plus
- We're looking for someone who can iterate on and build a process that works well and can scale.
- What is the team size we'll be working with?
- You'll be working within one of our pods of 4-5 engineers, a designer, engineering lead, and a QA engineer
- What's your tech stack and other tools you use daily?
- FE: React (16.14 with JS), React-query, some redux, but moving away from it and making more use of hooks and component state, GraphQL, Webpack. MUI, Nivo, Final Form
- BE: Django, DRF, Celery, MySQL, Redis
- Github, Jira, Slack, Notion, Loom
- Tell us about your dev practices
- Pragmatic is the best way to describe. We use eslint and prettier to keep code clean. We have some tests for code that we know is going to be around for a while or many modules depend on, but we're not strictly TDD. We tend to ship MVPs quickly and then go back and refactor and/or rebuild when we have more learnings and better ideas about how to abstract products. The name of the game for us is speed to market. We ship major releases every two weeks
- Tell us about your general working style
- Asynchronous - we tend to try to get as much communication into structured formats as possible -- PRs, documentation, comments, Jira tickets vs. scheduling meetings. We do try to have the majority of our meetings around our standup to make sure that our teammates have as much focused deep work time as possible
- Remote- we have a small number of engineers on-site, but many distributed as well as much of our leadership distributed, so you can be a full-fledged member of our team and not be in the office in Austin (this was from before the pandemic and will be the case after the pandemic)
- Driven- our team members really believe in what we're doing and we work hard because we're personally invested in the outcome and take ownership over the work we do
- Will you consider slightly less experienced candidates?
- Absolutely. We may consider exceptional candidates that have slightly less experience, but this is not a role for junior engineers.
- Competitive Salary
- Part of a remote-friendly company and a fully remote team/pod
- Flexible working hours and healthy asynchronous working practices
- Long term employment with considerations for promotion and raises every 6 months
- For US-based candidates:
- Full health (healthcare, vision, dental, ClassPass, etc.)
- Company 401k Program with up to 1% matching