Software Engineer II (Cloud Management) | The Profession | [Remote, FT]
The Art of Education University (AOEU) is looking for a software engineer to join our team in building the next generation of our educational products and systems.
AOEU has developed a home-grown suite of technology solutions to support our unique value proposition, of serving the educational and teaching needs of art teachers across their entire careers. We have extended our technology stack to its boundaries and are ready to move beyond to new more scalable frameworks that will better support our growth trajectory in the years to come. We are in search of a skilled software developer with a diverse background, who is interested in helping us develop our new online educational platform, while also leading the efforts in maintaining our cloud infrastructure.
Software Engineering | What We Believe |
Software Engineering supports AOEU and its mission by making others’ lives and jobs easier through software.
Software should be a tool that allows others to reach their goals more efficiently and effectively. It should be thoughtfully designed, accessible, unobtrusive, and opinionated for the purpose it serves. We work with the Product Team and Stakeholders to accomplish this result.
Software is a “living” entity that is continually growing and changing. Our team follows iterative development cycles in order To make the right changes at the right time.
We are an open-source mindset team. Just as we use open-source software, we also contribute to the community.
We believe that it isn’t the code that makes our team successful, how we work and fit together is.
The Art of Education University | Who We Are |
Our mission is simple, driven, and inspiring: We grow amazing art teachers by providing rigorous, relevant, and engaging professional development at every stage of their career.
AOEU is an innovative and fast-growing institution of higher education serving art teachers around the world. In 2019, we became the first homegrown graduate university in the state of Iowa in 50 years and the world’s first “university for life,” serving art educators throughout an entire lifetime of learning.
The Art of Education University serves tens of thousands of students, readers, and customers around the U.S. and in over 40 countries. Our Magazine is read more than 800,000 times each month, our events are attended by over 4,000 art educators annually, and we serve over 2,000 graduate students each year.
Our culture is at the heart of our success as an institution. We believe in a drama-free environment that upholds the ideals of Radical Candor©. We believe that your success is our success. You will always know where you stand and be challenged to grow and stretch yourself in ways you never imagined.
The Details | Software Engineer II |
- Learns best practices and processes from the team
- Completes assigned tasks
- Investigates and fixes bugs
- Communicates progress
- Identifies blocking issues
- Finds work-life balance
- Comes to team members with questions and ideas
- Owns a functional area of code
- Breaks large requests down into sub-tasks
- Gives higher-level status updates
- Takes operational responsibility
- Sets measurable goals and meets them
- Reviews code changes
- Helps mentor new hires
- Has the ability to operate independently between periodic check-ins
- Builds out and maintains our cloud hosting environment
- Develops automated CI/CD pipelines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience managing cloud hosting services (DigitalOcean, Heroku, Vercel, AWS, etc.) required
- Experience with CI/CD processes required
- Source control (we use Git with GitHub.)
- Unit testing and TDD
- Agile methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban)
- Knowledge of software architecture and design
- Experience working in a remote capacity
The duties of this position are typical of those performed in a home office setting with normal ranges of temperature. The majority of tasks will be performed while sitting at a desk.
- Position requires considerable concentration and focus throughout the day.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift items such as laptops, monitors, and the like.
- When traveling:
- The ability to lift or push your suitcase.
- Ability to carry/lift up to 25-50 lbs of presentation materials for customers or for conference presentations, etc.
VISUAL & TACTILE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to view computer screens for significant periods of time. The Art of Education University is an online university. Therefore 95-98% of one’s time will be on or using technology.
- Ability to use a laptop keyboard with accuracy.
- Ability to hear at normal levels and through electronic devices such as laptops, earbuds, phones, and the like.
- Degrees in computer science and related fields are a plus.
- 3 - 5 years of experience in software development or related fields.
Compensation and Benefits
Structured as a full-time, exempt, salaried position. Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Payroll is issued on a semi-monthly basis paid on the 15th and last day of each month.
Group healthcare plans are available. The Art of Education University will contribute 100% for health, dental, and vision, for full-time employee-only coverage. Other coverage options are available at an additional premium, with AOEU contributing up to 70% of other coverage options.
The Art of Education University offers participation, upon hire, of a 401K plan with up to a 4% match of employee contributions.
Appropriate and up-to-date technology is provided.
Unlimited self-managed PTO is offered to full-time members of AOEU. Extended vacations must be pre-approved. Flexibility exists so long as responsibilities are fulfilled and careful planning and communication are evident.
Persons interested in applying should complete the application form linked below. Applicants are required to submit a short 1-3 minute video explaining why they would like to be considered for the position and why they are uniquely qualified. Failure to submit a video will automatically eliminate you from the application process.
Candidates who make it to Round 2 of the application process will be required to complete a packet for review, prior to their scheduled interview time.
Finalists will have one final culture interview with a member of the Sr. Leadership Team.
All applicants and candidates will be notified of the status of their application.
- Interested applicants should complete the application and upload a current resume as soon as possible.
- Candidates selected for an interview will be notified as applications are submitted.
- Anticipated position start date: August 1, 2021
How to Apply | This Is Me |
- APPLY HERE: https://theartofed.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=117
The Art of Education University is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. The Art of Education University will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of actual or perceived age, race, color, national origin/ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related conditions), physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Art of Education University is a participant of E-Verify.