Growth Machine is looking for a part-time assistant to the CEO who can commit a minimum of 10 hours a week to start, with the potential for growth.
This is a new position that will report directly to Nora, the CEO of Growth Machine. It's perfect for someone who enjoys working autonomously on a diverse set of daily responsibilities.
This is a part-time position, and the schedule will be mutually determined after an offer is made to the right candidate.
Who You Are:
- Resourceful: You don't wait to be told what to do. You appreciate guidance but can do your job successfully without it. You aren't phased by vague directions, and get excited by an opportunity to design a new system or tackle a new challenge.
- Organized: Your to-do lists have to-do lists (just kidding!). Seriously though, you take pride in your ability to keep track of many different demands on your time at once, and you have a solid track record of delivering without letting anything fall through the cracks. You can be a reliable backstop on projects and are confident and comfortable with that responsibility.
- Independent: You're good at following instructions, but don't need or want constant hand-holding to get the job done. You're intrinsically motivated by seeing your contribution to the company in action.
- Friendly: You're excited to be part of a team that supports, respects, and genuinely likes one another. We lift each other up and don't tolerate drama or office politics.
- Flexible: Multitasking doesn't phase you, nor does a sudden change of plans.
- Tech-Savvy: You know your way around a computer. You don't need to be a programmer, but you know enough to have a good sense of how to find your way around unfamiliar software, or at least know where to look to teach yourself.
- Familiar with content creation: It's a bonus if you have experience working on your own (or someone else's) online content.
- Comfortable working remotely: We don't use clichés like "self-starter" at Growth Machine, but if we did, this is where it would apply. You can structure your time and keep yourself on task without anyone stopping by your desk to keep you on track.
- Inbox Management: Manage Nora's email daily, making sure messages are flagged, archived, or forwarded accordingly to ensure quick response times.
- Calendar management (minimal): Schedule or reschedule meetings and calls.
- Internal troubleshooting and support: Helping other Growth Machine employees find what they need to solve a problem, answer a question, or deliver the best work to one of our clients. This means learning how things work at a high level, referring someone to resources in Asana or Notion, or reviewing an email communication to provide additional information or context.
- WordPress administration: Nora runs a side project (acleanbake.com), which she will need some occasional support on, including publishing posts, updating plugins, and basic technical updates. Ample training will be provided on each specific task, but it's a bonus if you know your way around a WordPress admin panel.
- Event planning: Supporting Nora and our operations manager, Morgan, in researching and planning in-person and virtual retreats.
- Team gifts and morale activities: Outside of retreats, we like to surprise our team with branded swag, housewarming (or other special occasion) gifts, and other perks, which we often need help brainstorming, researching, and planning.
- Parental leave coverage and support: Nora will be on parental leave in the fall, and will require some additional support to make sure she is minimally needed during that time. The assistant role will act as a gatekeeper, making sure any urgent needs reach her in a timely manner, and anything non-urgent is handled without her.
- General communication, coordination, research, and other ad hoc duties as needed.
- You're a U.S. citizen working in a U.S. time zone.
- You have a minimum of 2-3 years working as a virtual assistant, or can demonstrate other ways you have honed the skills required above.
- You're familiar with SEO in the broadest of terms (you do not need to be an expert or have firsthand experience).
- You're equipped to manage your time and be reliably available throughout the week.
- You're familiar with or comfortable learning how to use Slack, Asana, Notion, Google suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, and Slides), and WordPress.
- You're a critical thinker and a strong, creative problem-solver.
- You're able to self-motivate and successfully work independently without much oversight.
- You're proactive, excited, creative, and hungry to learn. You take pride in your work and are comfortable being held accountable for your deliverables and results.
- You're detail-oriented, organized, and efficient, and you're not intimidated by juggling a lot of different projects and responsibilities at once.
- You're always looking for ways to improve existing processes so that they work better for everyone involved.
- You're flexible and agile. You don't bat an eye at a fast pace or a rapidly growing and changing work environment.
- You're friendly, eager to jump in and make the job your own, and love to contribute to tangible business growth and success.
- Flexible hours: schedule will be set to work with your other responsibilities.
- Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- Monthly bonus: KPI-driven monthly performance bonus in addition to salary and benefits.
- Remote work: Nora is based in Chicago, but you don't have to be. You can work from anywhere in a U.S. time zone.
- Paid holidays: We take off all major holidays, including a week over the New Year. We'll pay you for the hours you would have worked during those days.
- Team retreats: Team trips each year to cities like Austin, LA, and Chicago to get some time together in person.