- You love working in Ruby codebases and furthering your mastery of the Ruby language.
- You are excited to take ownership of a reasonably large existing codebase and usher it to bigger and better places.
- You love the opportunity to participate frequently in small group / pair-programming sessions for mentoring, cross-training, and collaboration.
- You are motivated by working on hard and challenging problems rather than showing up just to checkboxes.
- You are driven by building a world-class product and great user experience.
- Your best day is seeing your team, who you’ve coached and mentored and collaborated with, deliver and achieve amazing results.
- You relish the opportunity to work with a product team, engineers, customer success, and customers to ensure a surprisingly awesome customer experience.
- You ask a lot of questions and love spirited yet professional debate, knowing it improves outcomes.
- You are comfortable navigating uncharted waters within the company.
- You are motivated by creating your own path to delivering value and taking full advantage of personal empowerment.
- You work openly and honestly with your engineering and product peers to negotiate and document clear scoping & phasing boundaries for projects. You ensure that your team only commits to work that is realistically possible to deliver within standards of quality, timeliness, robustness, and appetite for technical debt.
- Whenever you touch code, you take the opportunity to leave it in a better place through appropriate improvements in refactoring, testing, or documentation.
- Deliver awesome, fun, engaging, and reliable solutions.
- Collaborate with the team, partners, and customers to provide accurate estimations, timelines, costs, and risks associated with development.
- Create clear, concise deliverables that communicate your plans and allow the team to successfully execute ideas.
- Actively participate in stand-ups, meetings, and design sessions.
- Participate in code reviews, vendor selection, research, 1 on 1’s and discussion to help you and the team with professional development.
- Be a mentor and functional manager to a software engineering team.
- Ability to manage geographically distributed teams.
- Work with our data ingestion and processing pipeline to map and ingest data into ElasticSearch
- Working with data vendors to solve mapping and ingestion issues.
- Working directly with ElasticSearch indexes and facets to create normalized searchable data.
- Managing the Data Mapping triage process and implementing changes.
- Working with and maintaining the Data Management admin application.
- Create Kibana dashboards for exploring data.
- Work with the product team to determine search needs.
- Work cross-functionally on teams to implement search heuristics, and be an expert on our data. This includes;
- Writing ElasticSearch queries.
- Stitching data together to be in easily aggregatable formats.
- Helping Middleware and Frontend Engineers understand the search data.
What a Successful First Year Looks Like
- First 30 days
- Familiarize yourself with our product, ops architecture, and front-end codebases to develop a strong understanding of our business and how all of the product & code pieces fit together.
- Quickly learn and become proficient at working with WebAPI, the official oData API of the Real Estate Standards Organization for working with real estate data.
- Working with the product & engineering teams, start designing & delivering great code -- consistent with our coding style, architectural, and testing practices -- to support current roadmap items.
- Participate in 1-1’s with your manager.
- Learn about our hiring process and assist in the interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of additional members for your team.
First 180 Days
- Lead delivery for the back-end of a national real estate search portal based on our current product & tech stack -- the first in-house national portal for eXp. Working with the product & engineering teams, proactively organize and manage the delivery of our first national real estate portal project.
- Improve the robustness, transparency, and accuracy of our data feeds and dashboard/reporting system so that our internal teams and customers have visibility into the timeliness and quality of our data.
- Coordinate and implement additional features, performance, reliability and scalability capabilities to support front-end efforts and prepare the system for the anticipated scale of the project.
- Assume day-to-day management of the project Kanban queue.
- Work with the product team to understand the medium- and long-term roadmap and advise them on what is possible based on the current & anticipated team size.
- Continue to build capacity in your team by hiring and onboarding additional team members. You will develop a playbook to successfully onboard team members intentionally and productively to hit the ground running in our product, team, and cultural environment.
- Further your team’s professional development and productivity through routine, proactive 1-1’s and team project retrospectives. Take responsibility for identifying and implementing opportunities for improvement.
- Lead your team through periodic code, architecture, and design reviews to help build a productive, high-trust team environment.
First 365 days
- Lean into the hypergrowth of the engineering and product teams by proactively working with your team and other teams/team leads to grow personally while maintaining a high-trust, productive product development culture.
- 3-5 years of Experience organizing and managing dev teams in a high-growth environment.
- 6-8 years experience with Ruby / Ruby on Rails / Sidekiq.
- Experience with Postgres, Elastic Search, Redis
- Experience in core aspects of web application development including design, development, architecture, separation of layers, configuration, performance, integration, analytics
- Excellent Written and Verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Detail-Oriented, self-starter, motivated, results-driven, with high level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative.
Nice To Have
- Experience using Kanban to meet deliverables.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
People You'll Work With
We are a highly collaborative and cross-functional organization. As you pursue your objectives and Showcase IDX’s goals, you will be working closely with:
- Scott Lockhart - CEO
- Alan Pinstein - COO
- Scott Davis - Director of Engineering
- Kurt Uhilr - CMO
In addition to a competitive salary, Showcase IDX offers:
- Stock Option Grant
- Flexible PTO
- Quality Medical + Dental + Vision
- Tax-Free Flexible Health Spending Account
- 401K with company match
- Life Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance