Job no: 716726
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 13
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Communication Arts Sciences
Department: Communication Arts And Sciences Dean 10010158
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund Raising, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Senior Content Strategist and Writer
The Senior Content Strategist and Writer is the top creative role in the communications office, responsible for developing and executing content strategy across platforms to support the strategic priorities of the college. The Senior Content Strategist also serves as the lead writer and editor for the communications office. The successful candidate will produce executive communications, student and research stories, marketing materials, and internal communications. The position is responsible for aligning ComArtSci’s editorial voice with strategic priorities, and determining content needs, channel selection, and distribution.
The Senior Content Strategist will manage (and mentor) a team of student interns and work with members of the communications office team in a dynamic, collaborative environment. This position will advance our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through intentional messaging and storytelling.
Successful candidates for the position will have a proven track record of leading content strategy across multiple communication platforms, with an emphasis on digital and social media channels. You will be a clear, persuasive writer with a commitment to quality, accuracy, and brand voice. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a dynamic environment, able to lead multiple projects simultaneously. This position reports to the Interim Director of Communications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
• Work closely with college leadership to align communications strategy and implementation with college priorities.
• Develop and implement content strategy across platforms, with an emphasis on digital and social channels.
• Serve as lead writer and editor for the communications office, including writing executive communications, student and research stories, marketing materials, social content, and internal communications.
• Facilitate thought leadership opportunities for faculty and staff.
• Manage and mentor a team of student content creators and writers.
• Strategically evaluate our digital presence on an annual basis. Advise on adoption of new channels and platforms.
• Develop, edit, and send e-newsletters, targeted e-mails, and assist with other marketing needs.
• Work with MSU Central Communications to manage public relations and media partnerships.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year degree in Public Relations, Advertising, Communication, or a related field. 3-5 years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in editing a variety of formats, such as new releases, research papers, feature articles, and knowledge of design and printing techniques; experience with marketing communications, content strategy, public relations, advertising and/or digital campaigns; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• A portfolio that demonstrates excellence in writing and content strategy.
• Ability to think broadly, strategically, and conceptually to formulate creative solutions to communication problems.
• Excellent writing ability, strong editing/proofreading skills, and an ability to understand brand voice and translate voice into effective content with measurable outcomes.
• Experience managing projects across diverse stakeholders; the ability to process and synthesize large quantities of complex information from a variety of sources.
• The ability to leverage primary research and other data to guide decision-making and evaluate campaign outcomes.
• Must be experienced and comfortable communicating through social media and email channels.
• Project management and problem-solving skills with an ability to create project plans a plus.
• Experience with Higher Education and/or agency experience a plus but not a requirement.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter addressing your extent of content strategy experience, and why you feel this position would be a positive career move for you. Please include the names and email addresses of three professional references. A writing sample is requested, see further instructions below.
In less than 500 words, provide a writing sample telling us what you enjoy about developing and executing content strategy across various platforms.