We have several exciting opportunities for experienced full-stack engineers to join our talented engineering team. While the core of our Engineering team is based in Melbourne we are also seeking candidates for remote working opportunities across Australia and in New Zealand or Asia (as these locations have a good timezone crossover with Melbourne).
In this role you will, design, build and maintain software solutions, infrastructure, and services that drive Flippa. This position plays a key role in our expansion at Flippa and will contribute to the culture of the engineering and wider Flippa team.
Founded in 2009, Flippa’s mission is to give every business owner a pathway to exit. Flippa’s platform powers the digital real estate industry, we invented the space and we are the market leaders. Our unique peer-to-peer marketplace brings together entrepreneurs, owners, investors and operators to trade sites, stores, apps and online businesses. We represent the new real estate - it’s digital real estate - and this is your opportunity to be a part of a major shift in society, one where digital business ownership is the new currency and a new asset class.
At Flippa, your ideas count and your perspective matters. We favour the brave and want you to do your best work. You will love it here if you are open and curious, love a fast pace, always think about the end customer and know the digital economy. We want to help our customers be successful and this means working on the things that matter most to them. We support each other (one of our values is to Be Human) to achieve great things and celebrate the wins. Do you want to Own Your Future?
What you get to work on:
Specifically, you will get to -
- Design and deliver robust, scalable and secure solutions
- Write clean, maintainable and efficient code
- Follow best practices (test-driven development, continuous integration, adhering to coding standards)
- Drive continuous adoption and integration of relevant new technologies
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and engineers to scope and plan new features
- Work with agile methodologies
- Promote process and technical improvements
- Share your knowledge and skills with the team
- Mentor engineers to help them up-skill
- Perform code reviews and pair programming
- Fulfill a primary support role for the production ecosystem (on-call rotation)
What we're looking for:
We are looking for a mid-level Software Engineer with proven work experience in software development including:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience with Ruby on Rails
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL
- Experience developing highly interactive applications
- Ability to operate with infrastructure (AWS, Heroku)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Ideally a BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or in a related field
In addition to be successful at Flippa we are also looking for someone who has:
- A firm grasp of object-oriented analysis and design
- Passion for writing clean and efficient code
- Strong attention to detail
- Team player attitude with the ability to work independently and with team members
- Flexible and willing to adapt to changing priorities
- Customer focussed
- Ability to clearly explain technical concepts to non-technical team members
- A passion for self-development and learning
These are the people we love at Flippa - do you fit?
- You possess a Think, Say, Plan, Do mindset and demonstrate this in everything you do
- You are solutions orientated
- You love working in a fast paced ambitious environment.
- You are results driven
- You have a positive attitude and desire “go the extra mile” to achieve great things for Flippa
- You have loads of initiative
- You are happy to work both autonomously, but also with a strong team ethic and ability to collaborate across teams. We may reward individual effort, but we most certainly play as a team in everything we do
- You love helping small business owners achieve
- You want to have some fun
Pay & Benefits
Flippa is an awesome place for great professionals – you'll be working with smart colleagues, tackling challenging problems, and enjoying a competitive salary and equity package. Our Melbourne office is located in the heart of Brunswick street close to great coffee and lunch spots to enjoy with our close knit team. Our open plan office is a great collaborative space, filled with natural light, a well stocked kitchen and coffee machine. We are a social bunch and enjoy plenty of opportunities to bond over breakfast, lunches, Friday night drinks and our coveted Flippa days! We also have a wellness program, free local gym pass, birthday leave, study support, recognition awards, and more.
Flippa was founded in 2009 by Mark Harbottle (BRW Entrepreneur of the Year 2012) and Matt Mickiewicz. Mark & Matt also founded 99designs.com and Sitepoint.com.
If this opportunity sounds like a good fit, please apply by submitting your cover letter and resume (CV) on our Careers Page