Are you passionate about building premium devices and experiences? The Advanced Prototyping Center focuses on creating devices that help people do more and achieve what they need. We are building Microsoft’s premium category-changing devices like Surface, Xbox, and HoloLens. Creating these devices involves a close partnership between hardware and software engineers, designers, and manufacturing. The Advanced Prototyping team is looking for a highly skilled, curious, and creative person to directly contribute to the realization of our future products.
As a Model Maker 2, you will work closely with our Industrial Design and Engineering teams to deliver models and prototypes that communicate our design intent. The ideal candidate will contribute to the Advanced Prototyping Center through a deep understanding of tools, materials, and processes and the application of that knowledge to hardware innovation at Microsoft. You will be part of the product development team that drives innovation and finds solutions to complex problems.
• Create visual models and prototypes that leverage and contribute to industry best practices.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills to allow success in our highly collaborative environment.
• Liaison between key work partners, project teams, and functional teams on projects varying widely in scope and complexity.
• Be highly organized and flexible in managing multiple projects to meet business needs and communicating project status.
• Develop new techniques and processes to enable and contribute to programs.
• Be accountable to deliver high quality models and prototypes in a timely manner, implementing plans and executing highly complex tasks or aspects of a project.
• Manage competing priorities to make and/or assemble parts for multiple projects.
• Demonstrate a connection to the prototyping industry and awareness of emerging trends.
• Accredited 4-year Engineering or Industrial Design degree or related experience.
• 3+ years of experience in creating class A appearance models and engineering prototypes.
• 2+ years of experience with HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) paint application using multiple media.
• 2+ years of color mixing and matching experience.
• Knowledge of and experience with all finishing, decorating, and assembly processes.
• Intricate hand work or sculpting of parts, as required, and proficiency in sanding, priming, wet sanding, polishing (aluminum, acrylic, and clear topcoats), and assembly.
• Experience with CAD modeling using Creo, Rhino and/or SolidWorks.
• Experience with Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop.
• Keen eye for color and ability to mix any color by eye.
• Ability to use a spectrophotometer to specify, communicate, and monitor color accuracy.
• Experience in use and maintenance of all shop equipment as well as all finishing tools and techniques.
• Computer skills required, including Windows and MS Office Suite.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.