About the job
We are looking for a Technical Writer with experience in software documentation, blog content, and other forms of external communication. The ideal candidate has a specialization in low-level languages, is a native English-speaker, and has at least three years of experience in the tech writing space.
Initially, you will be part of the Developer Relations Team, which is a fully-remote
team composed of 3 people: Carolina
, our Junior Developer Advocate, as well as Gui
our Technical Writers. Their mission is to help developers be successful by nurturing a healthy open-source community around MeiliSearch. This means listening to, inspiring, educating, and supporting our community however we can.
As the company moves forward in the months to come, our goal is to separate the Technical Writing team from the Developer Relations team in order to gain agility. Ideally we will have a technical writer attached to each technical team. You should therefore expect a few organizational changes along the way.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with the Core team
- Documenting aspects of our core engine (written in Rust)
- Responsible for maintaining code commenting standards
- Coming up with ideas for and writing blog posts centered around the internals of our engine
- Helping maintain our technical standards (internal documentation focused on code quality)
- Working with the Product team:
- In their capacity as a writer and native English speaker, providing feedback on variable, parameter, and API route names
- Reviewing feature specifications
Our ideal profile:
Your fit with our team is as important to us as your technical background, if not more so. We are looking for someone with these important soft skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication: in a prior experience, you've demonstrated ability to teach software developers through clear and accurate written content
- Constructive mindset (gives and takes feedback well)
- Team player
- Curious, self-motivated learner
- Independent, with good time management
- Notable experience with open-source, personal and/or professional
- Ability to comprehend difficult technical subjects and condense them for a non-technical audience
- Superb attention to detail
- Impeccable written English
Nice to have:
- Experience with low-level programming (C, C++, Rust) and/or writing about low-level programming
- Familiarity with database paradigms (e.g. relational, NoSQL, Time Series)
- Interest in coding conventions and styles
- Enjoys reading code :)
Why you’ll enjoy working with us:
- Full-time job
- We strongly value the wellness of our employees and are committed to making MeiliSearch a benevolent place to work (we pay attention to work-life balance, we have flexible working hours, 3 month parental leave...). We promise, no bullshit!
- Remote-friendly organization, with offices in Paris. For this particular position we will be looking at profiles working in GMT+1 to GMT-7 time zones.
- Please send us your resume and a quick note of why you might be a good fit for this job, along with examples of technical tutorials and/or blog posts you have written.
- If your profile fits, you will have a 1h video interview with our HR manager and one of our two technical writers to get to know you a bit better (e.g. professional background, goals for the future). If your profile doesn't fit you will get an email from us.
- If the first interview goes well, the next step is meeting our second technical writer and our COO, Thomas (1h).
- If we find it necessary, we will give you a paid writing assignment to evaluate your written communication skills.
- You will meet Clémentine, our Core Team manager, and Clément, our CTO (1h).
MeiliSearch is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community.