**Deadline to apply: 20th June 2021**
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, our platform engineers work on all our server-side technologies. The main responsibility will be to maintain and add to the capability of our API, and the other support applications which form the basis of our core infrastructure, architecture, and development (‘the Platform’).
The Department is already an extremely agile, tightly defined team of developers, and we are actively hiring and growing the team this summer. We expect our shape to be about 10 FTE developers in both back-end and front-end roles by the end of the year.
We want to build, and we want you to too.
Skills / Experience we would expect to see:
- Core Java skills: J2SE/J2EE, Spring, Hibernate
- Supporting skills: Git, Maven, REST, Mysql, Redis, AWS (Beanstalk, RDS, DynamoDB), OAuth
- Familiarity with libraries: Apache Commons, Apache HTTP Client, java.time (JSR 310)
- Nice to have: Twilio APIs, Google APIs, WebDAV/CalDAV
Things our Platform Engineers are expected to do every day:
- Work on assigned tickets
- Collaboration and problem-solving
- Help us with the daily monitoring and maintenance of the YCBM APIs, services, and processes
- Create new web services and additional functionality to the underlying code base, designed to be scalable and robust
- Generate a clean, maintainable, and testable code, following the best practices in the industry and an attitude of continuous improvement
- Continually improving the codebase as you go along, refactoring and QA
This is a remote position, we will be considering candidates in Europe / Africa (ie no more than 3hr +/- GMT). As far as possible, we aim to hire everyone at YCBM on full-time employment contracts.
What you would be benefitting from in return
- 100% remote, your equipment, wifi/office or co-working space all covered
- Salary £55,000-£75,000 (based on location and experience), we try and keep things in 'bands' and everything is internally published
- 'Unlimited' holiday (plus public holidays). We expect everyone to be taking 5-6 weeks leave a year
- Fully funded private health / dental insurance (in UK / Spain)
- 5% employer contribution to private pension (in UK / US)
- Fully funded leave policies for parents
- Participation in profit share after 1.5 years
- International travel / company retreats
What do you need to do to get this job?
- We’re big fans of cover letters from applicants who have done their homework on us. We want to see that you’re passionate about what we do and interested in how we got here
- Tell us why you would want to work for a company like ours, the value you would bring, and how you’d learn along the way
- We’d love to hear what you’ve achieved and what you’re most proud of. In particular, we want to see your strengths and qualities that make you a great fit for this role
- And most importantly, think about how you will stand out from other applicants
- We’re absolutely only looking for candidates who are serious about their desire to work for us - this means generic cover letters/CVs are a big no-no for us so please don’t expect much progress if you send us one of these