The Director of Product Marketing role offers significant opportunity to impact both internally on the product engineering development process while also driving the external sales, product launches, and most critically, revenue generation.
The Director of Product Marketing will lead a team that serves as the interface between the customer, product management, and marketing. The PM will quickly gain these teams' respect and support, and will consistently demonstrate product and market expertise, attention to detail, and accountability.
Your work and insights will provide the foundation for developing differentiated messaging that will support our teams in the creation of content, marketing programs and product strategy, that will lead to an increase in adoption of our software and services.
This is a new role for the company that will help set our path for long-term success as we pivot in late 2021 towards an open source DBaaS platform. As such, it’s critical that you have an understanding of open source databases, including: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and MariaDB, enterprise buying cycles, cloud adoption trends, and customer use cases. In addition, you need to be a master storyteller to weave together the customer journey, their pain points, and position how Percona can help.
What You Will Do
Market Research - Acquire and possess in-depth knowledge of our target markets, segments, buyer personas, competitors, and partners via primary and secondary market research. Educate the company on market requirements, trends, and competitor capabilities.
Positioning & Messaging - Create the storyline for our products and services.
Go to Market - Collaborate with product management to create a shared vision and go-to-market strategy for our products and services. Define strategic positioning of our products, services, key features, pricing, and key product messages. Drive business case development, bringing together customer research, product and financial data and analytics to drive revenue. Examine the performance of each touchpoint across the entire consumer journey and identify key marketing and product levers to unlock incremental improvements.
Drive Brand and Demand - As our product and services champion, you will speak at conferences, with the press, to analysts and other key influencers. You will work closely with demand generation and event marketing leaders to execute innovative online marketing campaigns, to support sales growth. You will be responsible for developing sales enablement tools including competitive analysis and use cases.
Product Releases - You will partner with product management leadership to put together business cases for major new releases, planning, messaging, and manage releases in an Agile environment.
- 7+ years of experience in supporting open source databases, other open source technology or SaaS products in a marketing, support, or pre-sales role
- Experience with enterprise databases and/or open source technologies
- Strong track record of leading, coaching and mentoring a team of product marketers
- Demonstrated ability to work across all levels of the organization (product, sales, and marketing)
- Proven track record in performing well in a fast-paced environment and organizational skills to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines effectively
- Strong written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills with the ability to build consensus among teams