About The Apollos Project
The Apollos Project
is an open source initiative engaged in building technology products across mobile, TV, and web that allow churches to thrive in a digital-first era. Our mission is to help faith-seekers and churches connect in a post-building dominated era. We do this by crafting experiences and strategic direction that helps people realize church isn't just a building: it's about authentic relationships and community.
Our core product today is a mobile application platform
built on React Native and GraphQL that is focused on helping to drive daily habits, help people experience community, and work towards personal growth. Today, this platform has over 150k users (and growing!) and 50-100 people in our open source community. We are working on expanding the mobile product with community experiences such as helping people read and journal on scripture together, as well as extending onto other platforms like TV and specific web-based experiences.
This position is for developers that are interested in helping the project grow and passionate about our mission.
Differential is a digital-product agency proudly headquartered in Cincinnati, OH, but our team spans across the country. Our mission is to rapidly unlock value for good people with meaningful ideas. Differential leads core development of The Apollos Project, in collaboration with churches around the country. We also employ a services team that help support churches that use The Apollos Project technology.
In addition to only choosing the best group of people to work around, we are also very picky about the types of clients we’ll work with. In line with our mission, we partner with forward-thinking corporate pioneers and innovators to revolutionize their organizations from the inside out and bring impactful products to life. This translates to a diverse range of products like transforming retail with Adidas, helping Lexmark innovate cross-industry, streamlining the sales process with Big Ass Fans, to multi-platform mobile apps for large audiences with Crossroads Church.
We hire motivated, trustworthy people so we can optimize for a free & flexible culture: flexible hours, unlimited vacation, remote work, and working on stuff you’re excited about. Turns out, when you’ve got a dedicated team that takes pride in their work, you don’t have to worry about how much time they’re spending in the office.
The ideal candidate for this opening is someone that has a strong passion for writing code that brings digital products to life. Developers who thrive here place equal emphasis between efficiency and approachability. They flourish in a continuous-delivery process where collaboration and ego-free communication is valued. We believe in developing working software throughout the entire product development process. We engage in product thinking as a team and cross-functionality among product managers, designers, and our client partners. Our process aims to create original digital products and services that innovate and reshape companies.
Above all, we are focused on finding someone we love to work with. Culture isn’t a ping-pong table in the breakroom or some words we put up on the wall. It’s embedded in our DNA and starts with who and how we hire. We want to consider passionate people for this position.
What you can expect to do:
- Work on a cross-functional product team focused on building the core Apollos platform and getting our technology in the hands of people around the world.
- You'll be shipping code that reaches hundreds of thousands of people that impacts their life and community.
- You'll be helping to understand diverse church needs and integrating Apollos into their organization.
- Work iteratively, collaboratively, and calmly in focused six-week Cycles.
- Continuously learn and improve your technical and soft skills.
What we’re after:
- At least a few years of experience building digital products and custom software applications. Experience with React or React Native are strong pluses.
- We want to hire for the right people, and are eager to consider applicants that range from senior to more junior/mid-level with a strong passion and demonstrated ability to learn.
- Passion for the whole digital product process. We know you will have your specific areas of focus, but we find those that are passionate about the bigger picture collaborate best with our cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to rely on an iterative process to maintain momentum on projects. Our work is never going to be perfect, and we expect you to be able to prioritize what matters most now so we can consistently and efficiently iterate and continuously deliver valuable working software.
- Familiarity with modern development tools, libraries, and frameworks. Most of our team uses React, React Native, Node, GraphQL, GitHub, VS Code, CircleCI, Jest, etc.
Differential employees are those who:
- Communicate effectively with clients and teammates.
- Are self-motivated.
- Learn quickly and relentlessly.
- Are curious about technology and the impact it can make on the world.
- Enjoy taking ownership and responsibility for their work.
- Enjoy collaborating with others on solving meaningful problems.
Candidates must be based in the United States and be available for meetings during standard business hours for client and team meetings. Specific times vary based on client-specific timezone preferences. There is flexibility in working hours, but there is an expectation to be able to regularly attend client and team meetings.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Gaining an understanding of who the users are, what their problems are, and why those problems exist.
- Putting the user — and their problems/needs — first in order to create and drive empathy for the solution you’re building.
- Translating a well-designed solution of sketches, wireframes, or high-fidelity mockups into fully functioning immersive app experiences.
- Working closely with a team of designers and developers.
- Maintaining development workflow with Github.
- Effectively communicating via Basecamp, Slack, and video calls.
- Executing with quality and speed in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Incorporating feedback into your work.
- Delivering tested, maintainable, and documented software.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.