We’re looking for a Staff Software Developer, DevOps who can help us to scale and optimize our cloud platform to improve its reliability and resiliency, with your technical expertise you will manage project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance our cloud platform solutions. You’ll be working with diverse technical and non-technical groups to align the technical vision and drive the delivery. While based in Hootsuite’s Vancouver office, you will report to the Director, Production Operations and Delivery. You can also work remotely from your cozy home office anywhere in Ontario, Alberta or BC with occasional travel to Vancouver.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Design and build our compute and delivery platform
- Identify and implement new platform features
- Research and evaluate new technologies
- Scaling and optimizing the platform so it’s reliable and resilient
- Enable development teams
- Provide executable interfaces to our compute and delivery platform
- Building ancillary developer tools and provide best practices to accelerate the adoption of our compute and delivery platform
- Supervising and overseeing the technical aspects of projects
- Mentor, advise and set technical direction and priorities to DevOps group
- Collaborate with others across the organization to solve problems and build better processes, systems, and software
- Communicate by writing documentation, participating in meetings, and sharing your work at demos
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Staff level experience in an SRE, DevOps or software engineering role and a track record of substantial contributions to software projects with high business impact
- Experience in building and maintaining DevOps automation and tooling to improve the development experience and speed up development, testing and release
- Experience with RHEL based Linux distributions and a thorough understanding of operating system fundamentals and microservice architecture
- Experience with Public cloud platforms - AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure
- Experience with infrastructure testing.
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally to build systems, create processes, and facilitate development efforts that enable other engineers to be more productive.
- Experience as an active participant in technical / developer communities, open-source projects, or similar developer groups, and presenting/speaking at technology conferences/hackathons/webinars.
- Ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels, and to deal with ambiguity and thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience with mentoring, coaching, and pairing with coworkers
- Ability to plan, articulate and gain organizational alignment on a technical vision
- Ability to stay on top of technical direction/frameworks beyond Hootsuite and advocate for their adoption at Hootsuite
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding
- Decision Making: consistently chooses the best course of action (from a number of alternatives) to address business problems and/or opportunities
- Influence: Asserts own ideas and persuades others, gaining support and commitment and mobilizing people to take action
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
- Priority Setter: You focus time/energy on the most important issues/opportunities. You clearly understand how to assess the importance of tasks and decisions
- Accountable: You hold yourself and others accountable to meeting commitments
- Problem Solver: You use an organized and logical approach to find solutions to complex problems. You look beyond the obvious to understand the contributing factors.
Share our values: We champion the power of human connection. We’re united globally by our shared values of innovation, grit, humility, and passion for customer success.
Make an impact: Working at the speed of social, we create value for our customers by delivering solutions that power relationships at scale. Our pace of work enables fast learning and fosters an environment where you can stretch yourself and make an impact.
Learn and grow: We’re committed to growing the capabilities of our people. We are building a learning community where you can work with diverse individuals, explore new ways of thinking, and expand your capabilities. Our employees are teachers and learners who work out loud and share their knowledge to enhance each other’s growth.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring. Our purpose is to champion the power of human connection and the heart of connection is inclusion. You belong here.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.