Our mission at Oura is to empower every person to own their inner potential. Our award-winning products, the Oura Ring and its accompanying app, helps our global community gain a deeper understanding of their health, lifestyle, and sleep quality, which we believe are foundational to living a healthy, fulfilled life.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Cloud Platform team. Our team is responsible for efficient data synchronisation, structuring and processing. Our team combines the power of the ring & the app with backend services and integrations to provide a data rich platform. Our APIs power most Oura apps, services and machine learning components as well as provide the technical foundation for our growth.
What You will do:
- Build and create secure backend services in a modern cloud environment with Python, REST and SQL
- Work with data-heavy processes and optimize their throughput and latency throughout our platform.
- Scale our architecture and technology to match the growing needs of our customers and feature development.
- Create data processing pipelines to support growing data needs
- Coordinate and support the technical implementation of business projects and feature development.
What you will bring to the team:
- Experience running, monitoring and debugging production systems at scale on AWS (We are running on AWS infrastructure and use key AWS services like EC2, ECS, RDS, S3 and SQS)
- Expert knowledge of Python. We consider other languages like Java and Scala a plus
- Good architectural understanding with event driven architectures to help us scale along with our growing user base.
- Proficiency working with SQL and potential to take your skills large scale.
- Understanding of security and what it means to handle sensitive information in a secure manner
- Enjoy writing maintainable and well-tested code
- Have solid experience of standard software development tools and practices: version control (git), issue tracking, unit testing and agile development processes
- Have a pragmatic can-do attitude and delivery-focused mindset: you can handle tradeoffs between short-term goals and long-term tech debt
- Are happy both executing on your expertise as well as learning new skills
- Although not required, experience developing and maintaining applications running on Docker
- Although not required, data engineering experience is a big plus
Together we will continue to define Oura as a company where you can:
- Be productive and do your best work
- Be part of a world-class engineering team following and helping define best practices
- Contribute to a product that improves the lives of 100s of thousands of people across the globe
- Be happy and have great work-life balance - we work efficiently, remove the fluff and pointless meetings, so that work continues to inspire and motivate you
- Grow on your chosen career path, be it technical, people, managerial or leadership skills, or any mix of those
Oura is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Individuals seeking employment at Oura are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, socioeconomic status, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.