UP42 is changing the way geospatial data is accessed and analysed. The developer platform and marketplace bring together multiple sources of data such as satellite imagery, weather data, and more—with algorithms to identify objects, detect change, and find patterns. Industry leaders use UP42 to inform business decisions and build scalable customer solutions.
We are looking for a Head of Data Science (m/f/x) to join our motivated team in Berlin.
About the role:
- Lead and continue to build the team of data scientists and machine learning experts
- You will strongly contribute with your expertise of EO, remote sensing, image processing and broad knowledge of geospatial industry in general to further shaping the product and strategy of UP42
- Take overall responsibility for the scientific validity and usefulness of algorithms on UP42
- Build capability to test, validate and quantify results of UP42 and partner algorithms
- Conduct scientific research and productise machine learning algorithms that have high value / utility for our customers
- Secure external funding (e.g. Forschungszulage) related to R&D with a dedicated focus on research and Machine Learning capabilities
- Drive and define direction of the UP42 analytics platform together with Head of Product
- Be an ambassador for UP42 in the Remote Sensing and ML scientific community
- Be part of the UP42 management team and help to decide the future of the company
- At least 5 years of experience in providing both people, technical & strategic leadership within teams
- Master Degree or PhD in any geospatial related field or similar (computer science, geography, physics, engineering etc.)
- Expertise in remote sensing and geospatial industry, especially with image processing
- Several years of experience and demonstrated understanding of the full software development lifecycle including testing and object-oriented programming
- Profound knowledge in Python and other programming languages
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Several years of experience with artificial intelligence, machine learning, and computer vision
- Solid grasp of computer science fundamentals including data structures and algorithms
- Solid ability to evaluate and apply new technologies
- Self-motivated, proactive and solution-oriented
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- The chance to shape the state of the art geospatial processing platform and create a completely new planetary perspective
- Modern office with everything you need to enjoy your work in the heart of Kreuzberg
- Inspiring international team, fun and productive environment
- Competitive salary package and other perks such as yoga lessons, Headspace subscription, public transportation discount, German classes, discounted Urban Sports Club membership, and counselling support.
- Regular team events, team updates and get-togethers
- Development budget: we help you grow as you grow UP42!
- Challenges, space for creativity and taking ownership
Does this sound like a good next step into your geospatial career? If so, we look forward to receiving your application in English.
Our culture is one of belonging, where everyone feels welcome and where differences are celebrated. We seek to recruit the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background and/or belief—and strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We also value more than the skills and experiences outlined in this job description. Even if you think you only fill 60% of the requirements for this role - we would still like to consider your application.