We’re on a mission to reinvent 3D design for the 21st century.
To achieve this, we’re completely reimagining legacy computer-aided design (CAD) tools with an iconic, mobile-first product. Over the past two years of high-speed growth, our Apple Design Award-winning app has been regularly featured in Apple Keynotes and commercials, and demoed in retail stores around the world. But what we’re most proud of is the global user base that uses our product every day. We’re backed by top European VCs Point9 Capital and Creandum, focusing our $6M Series A on scaling our team across the board.
By joining engineering at Shapr3D, you'll get the chance to build a world class product - one that's already used by hundreds of thousands of design professionals across the globe. Hence, well on its way to disrupting a 30 year old CAD industry. Oh, and it's rather satisfying to see your app featured on apple.com. Yes. That's right. Shapr3D is one of those apps
Besides constructing an amazing application, we are also working hard at Shapr3D on building a world-class engineering organization. In our Engineering VP's words: “our focus is on making sure that all our teams are empowered and incentivized to make decisions independently. People aren’t afraid of taking risks, setting ambitious goals, and in some cases, failing. We know how to learn from our mistakes.” (Akos Kapui, Engineering VP). Read more about this and our engineering philosophy here.
We’re currently looking for a full-stack engineer to join our new Growth Team to help us maintain and grow our technical user forums.
How would you contribute to the mission?
- You will be joining our new Growth Team focused on building engaged communities around our product. You'll work on our existing web products and help integrate a growing scale of content into our native application.
- Your experience in designing and building high quality web applications will help us reach millions of CAD enthusiasts worldwide with valuable content and knowledgeable support. We intend to create a space where people can learn from each other and users can inspire each other with their work.
- The features that you’ll be working on have the potential to change the way CAD engineers and 3D designers think and design in 3D.
- We work in an agile environment with a strong focus on well-structured code, testing, and continuous integration. We do our best to build sustainable code that enables rapid processing times and high quality. A pragmatic planning and decision-making approach helps us maintain the balance between quality and speed
A sneak peek into our stack...
- The website integrates numerous third party products (Discourse, Hubspot, Webflow, and Paddle)
- Our current community platform is built on Discourse - an open-source platform built with Ruby on Rails and Ember.js.
- Our web application (mainly for subscription management) uses React with MobX and TypeScript
- Our backend is structured as AWS Lambda functions written in Go
In an ideal world you'll bring a bunch of these things to the table:
- Previous job experience as a software engineer ideally within a highly scalable environment
- Experience in the development of high quality web application and backend services
- We don’t expect you to be a backend expert but would anticipate good experience with system design
- Obsession with writing high quality, testable, and maintainable code
- Strong customer focus and appreciation of what makes a good product, UX and design
- Proficiency in modern frontend technologies e.g. ES6, Sass/Less, Webpack, npm, frontend framework- React and HTML, CSS
- Experience with developing and maintaining large scale distributed systems deployed on AWS is a plus
And the following applies to you as will help you thrive at Shapr3D:
- Curiosity fuels your journey
- You are dedicated to building products that break the mould
- You like to take ownership of things and to learn from your mistakes
- Quality code and very robust architectural decisions define your approach, while being able to move fast and build things with flexibility
- Users and data lie at the core of your technical decisions
- Users and the product come first. Team next. And your ego last.
What does a successful first 6 months look like at Shapr3D?
Solving problems in our domain requires an in-depth knowledge of computer architecture, operating systems, and computer science - but more importantly you have to understand our product and domain. The first couple of weeks of your onboarding will mainly focus on learning and understanding our practices, while later it will shift towards autonomy and efficiency. You’ll be guided and mentored by experienced engineers throughout the whole onboarding process.
Now let’s fast forward 6 months into the future. You have designed, implemented, and released multiple features to production. You’ve had countless occasions where you had to make decisions on how to best solve a specific problem. You’ve also received numerous pushbacks and feedback from your teammates which eventually led to a better outcome. You’ve learned tons of new things during this period, and your work and contributions have inspired others to do the same.
What do we offer?
- A down-to-earth culture and an opportunity to scale this thing up together
- The chance to build a world-class product and to learn from some of the best professionals in their field along the way
- Unconditional support for your development - be it reading a book or attending a course to grow your skills, it's on the house
- Relocation support if you’re not from Hungary
- 100% sick leave payment
- A generous healthcare package with Medicover (upon passing your probation)
- An iPad Pro and Ultimaker office 3D printer so you can play with the app
- A spacious office with a panoramic view of downtown Budapest
- One of the best coffee machines in town and well-stocked office snacks (including fruit, cereals, sweets, savories, a company Wolt account while we’re working remotely, and more)
If all this speaks to you and you’re up for reinventing 3D design for the 21st century, we should definitely talk! And don't worry if you don't tick every single box in the requirements. We’re always looking to hire for potential and the right mindset - so we'd still love to hear back from you.