Hello there! I’m the VP of engineering at eVisit. We are growing the engineering team, and we’d like you to consider joining us.
I joined eVisit because I believe in the company’s mission: to simplify healthcare delivery to everyone, everywhere. We are creating technology to make it simpler for you to connect with your doctor, without having to go into the office.
eVisit’s product is very popular among healthcare professionals. Usage increased by a factor of 10 in just a few months during 2020, and it’s accelerating. As you can imagine, the team needs to grow!
I came to eVisit to build the best telemedicine platform on the planet. If you join us in 2021, you can put your hand on the steering wheel with us and leave a big mark on this team and the entire healthcare industry. If you’ve ever wished you could look back at a hugely successful company and say “I was part of that”, this is your chance.
Where’s the job?
We are 100% remote, and staying that way. We are able to hire engineers in all 50 states and internationally. You can work from wherever you want. Our team was distributed internationally even before the pandemic. It’s baked into how we work.
We don’t require every engineer to have experience with all our technologies, but we thought you’d like to know where we are today. If you know better technologies, we want to hear about them!
- On the front-end, we use React for our desktop and mobile web products. We use React Native to power our iOS and Android apps. A single code base cross compiles to all platforms using a custom technology we developed.
- On the back-end, we use Ruby on Rails, Go, and NodeJS.
- Our Infrastructure is moving to AWS, with the back-end powered by Docker containers running in Fargate/ECS, our front-end served by CloudFront, and data stored in Aurora. We strive for a serverless architecture to minimize the operational burden on engineers.
- For error reporting and monitoring, we use Airbrake and New Relic.
- For video, we use WebRTC services from Twilio and Vonage.
- And of course, there is much more!
Our interview process:
We believe you shouldn’t have to disappear from your current job for an entire day to interview with us. We also believe you shouldn’t have to write code for a live audience, but rather we want you to code on your own time, in your own environment, where you do your best work.
Here’s how it works:
- A 30-minute info call with our recruiter or VP of engineering
- Three 30-minute, back-to-back, one-on-one interviews with our engineers.
- A take-home coding exercise
- Group session for you to meet the team
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Great benefits package including medical, dental, vision, HSA & FSA plans
- Generous PTO plan, plus 10 paid national holidays
- A fun, collaborative environment where the company is working to define the future of telemedicine
- Excellent opportunity for professional growth
- 100% remote work
Skills & requirements
We don’t hire engineers based on a perfect laundry list of programming languages and technologies. We hire based on (1) how well you demonstrate the five eVisit company values, (2) your general engineering skills, and (3) your ability to learn.
We believe senior engineers should have the following:
- System Thinkers: Senior engineers go beyond writing code and fixing bugs. The ideal senior engineer is an exemplary individual contributor who can think in terms of architecture, not just code. They focus on solving problems, and sometimes with code.
- Continuous Improvers: Senior engineers are interested in improving the work of engineers through continuous deployment, test automation, post mortem analysis, monitoring, analytics, security, and performance improvements.
- Learners: Senior engineers have a track record of learning new technologies and diving deep into how things work. They seek balance by not being distracted by every shiny new technology.
- Polyglots: Senior engineers are proficient in multiple programming languages. We believe this gives valuable perspective that helps them reach for the best solution for the problem.
- Collaborators: Senior engineers work closely with product managers and designers to create the best products for our customers, even in early product definition. They occasionally field questions from our support team, and triage issues from outside engineering.
- Experienced: Time isn’t a guarantee of experience, but we believe that a senior engineer needs at least 5 years of full-time professional experience to accrue enough good judgment to be considered senior.
- Full Stack: We expect engineers to develop deep expertise in the areas where they work. While we don’t expect any one engineer to be an expert in every area, we do expect them to be familiar with every area. A senior engineer knows where their knowledge begins and ends, and when to enlist the help of experts.