Pilot (YC W17) is looking for an experienced full-stack engineer, with experience working on complex B2B products, to join a growing team on a mission to create a more open worldwide job market.
A bit about who we are:
Pilot helps companies handle payroll, benefits and compliance for their remote teams. We believe that your opportunities in live shouldn’t be dictated by where you’re from or where you happen to live, and we’re helping our customers live by that too. We’re a team of 15 backed by Sam Altman, Y Combinator, Credo Ventures, Automattic, Kyle Vogt and many other amazing investors.
What you will be working on:
You’ll join our product team of 5 people located all over the world, and will be working directly with one of our founders who is leading the team. We’re working on growing our product to become the world’s go-to service for international employment and payroll. We think we’re uniquely poised to solve this problem because we understand the challenges and benefits of an international team.
Most of our code is in Ruby—we use Rails 6.1 with bits of React on the front-end. Our primary database is PostgreSQL with Redis as a worker backend and RabbitMQ as a message queue broker.
We have a distributed data model with multiple applications communicating with each other using both asynchronous(events) and synchronous means. We deploy our apps on Heroku.
We have a pretty lightweight process: 1-week sprints, weekly planning sessions and asynchronous progress updates. We use Slack, Linear, Tandem, and Zoom to communicate and plan our work. We enjoy working together as a team, but there’s also a lot of opportunity to work autonomously.
- Experience in building complex enterprise products at a startup pace.
- Proficiency with Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- Ability to take a design and turn it into production-ready software, with self-explaining and modular code. This means you have to be comfortable working on all levels of our stack. Bonus point if you have an attention to detail while working on the UI components.
- Working understanding of React (nice to have: TypeScript). You don’t have to be a front-end expert as we use them sparingly.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. You’ll be working with a distributed team, so first-class communication is a must.
- Experience and desire to work in distributed teams. Expect your teammates to be all over the world.
We’d especially like to talk to you if:
- You’re interested in software architecture and distributed systems
- You enjoy working on internal libraries/frameworks
- You have practical experience implementing microservices
- You have domain knowledge in HR tools, payroll or fintech.
- Competitive salary and stock packages: $66,000-$74,000/y, equity: 0.05% - 0.125%
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the world