Shorthand is a growing company that provides a digital publishing platform to many of the world's best known publishers, brands, not-for-profits, and universities. With customers on every continent (except Antarctica!), there's never been a more exciting time to join Shorthand. Our company has the rare distinction in this era of money-burning startups of being both investor-backed and comfortably profitable. We're a small team of geeks with art and heart, and a high bar for quality. To deliver our magic to customers and their audiences, we build software that is scalable, flexible and most importantly reliable. We engineer and build software not only to support our own architecture, but to host and maintain content for our customers. We have engineered a scalable platform, and are now looking to push it to the next level.
We tend to do things a little differently at Shorthand. For one thing, we're a small team distributed around the world. For this role we'll happily take applications from anywhere in the Asia-Pacific region, but applicants must be fluent in English. This role will own DevOps at Shorthand and share responsibility for designing, engineering and scaling our backend systems and services. We are looking for someone who:
- Is whip smart, as demonstrated by career achievements and/or school/university results
- Has good knowledge of cloud-based web architectures.
- Experienced in system design and distributed computing.
- Is excellent at backend development using technologies such as NodeJS, Typescript, and PostgreSQL
- Knows how to build reliable cloud infrastructure.
- Has a good working knowledge of AWS and Unix CLI.
- Has experience with Cloudfront, S3, Lambda, RDS and ec2.
- Has a working knowledge of scripting.
- Has worked with CI/CD processes before (CircleCI/Jenkins preferably).
- Has an extremely high bar for quality.
- Is thorough and detail-oriented.
- Can learn fast.
- Has great communication skills, particularly with respect to writing.
- Gains deep satisfaction from helping to make products better.
- Has experience of working in a small business or startup environment.
- Preferably has experience collaborating with diverse, geographically-dispersed teams.
- Own DevOps at Shorthand as our single dedicated DevOps engineer.
- Develop and maintain server infrastructure across AWS services.
- Learn, evolve and improve an existing application/system architecture.
- Help secure the environment.
- Develop Shorthand app server-side and API functionality to help improve the customer experience.
- Contribute to the technical direction of the Shorthand tool.
- Report bugs.
- Communicate with the customer support team and customers to suggest solutions to issues.
- Assist in the creation of product documentation when required.
- A minimum 3 years of experience in a Backend Developer or Devops role.
- Thorough knowledge of NodeJS and the web.
- Experience with AWS.
- A university qualification in computer science or closely related field, or equivalent career experience required.
- You are a proactive self-starter, who does not need to be told what to do and will be resourceful in order to find solutions to any challenge.
- You thrive in a fast-paced and demanding environment, and possess a high level of intellectual curiosity.
- You are collaborative.
- You derive happiness from a job well done.
$95,000 — $130,000