Join the fully-remote team at Teaching.com to create, develop, and deliver fun and engaging software for educators and students!
Who We Are & What We Do
We’re working to change the future of online education by building exciting products that equip students and teachers with the tools to succeed in the classroom and beyond. Our team is hungry to learn and improve—both when it comes to our products and ourselves. We’re a small, hard-working group of self-starters who are passionate about what we do and constantly seek new ways we can be better, together.
As a team member at Teaching.com
, you’ll get to own the strategy and implementation of data-driven insights on products like:
- Typing.com: The world’s largest learn-to-type software, used by millions of students every day.
- Nitro Type: The #1 educational game in the world, played by millions daily.
- Reading.com: Upcoming learn-to-read application for pre-readers.
Everyone at Teaching.com
is empowered to move quickly, make decisions, and get things done so we can continue to make learning accessible to our growing community of more than 75 million students and teachers internationally.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
As the first full-time hire in the data team, we are looking for a proactive, confident, and intellectually curious data scientist who is excited by the prospect of extracting actionable insights out of massive datasets and improving the collection, storage, and quality of the data itself. You’re less concerned with creating the perfect algorithm and more concerned with quickly and efficiently delivering value to our users. The ideal candidate has experience telling a story with data through compelling visualizations, cleaning datasets, and translating data insights into actionable ideas.
Why You May Not Like It
If you aren’t deeply curious about why things happen, aren’t interested in facilitating strategic conversations based on the data, or need a lot of direction, this role may not be for you.
Skills & Background
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in quantitative field (Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, etc.)
- At least 3 years' of experience in quantitative analytics or data modelling in a commercial environment (ideally ed tech, SaaS or free-to-play gaming)
- Expert level knowledge of SQL, Tableau, and proficiency with at least one scripting language (e.g., R, Python)
- Previous experience A/B testing and calculating statistical significance within a big data context
- Proven track record of data exploration, visualization, and cleaning
- Passionate about leveraging empathy to understand user needs
- Unafraid to have candid conversations with managers, peers and direct reports
- Flexible, well-organized and experienced working in a fast-paced small company environment
- Exceptional communication skills, particularly written (as a remote company, we heavily emphasize written communication across all departments)
- Able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced quickly changing environment
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making skills
- A positive attitude and entrepreneurial spirit
- Significant accomplishments that required both technical and strategic capabilities, such as research projects, open source software contributions, and entrepreneurship
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited paid time off
- Company-owned laptop
- Remote office stipend
- Flexible office hours
- Ongoing education assistance
- Annual company retreat
Sorry, we will not transfer or sponsor visas.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.