The Director of Creative is responsible for conceiving of and driving the conceptual and stylistic direction of the SPLC to align all visual elements to the organization’s mission for racial justice in the South and beyond, and working in partnership with communities to dismantle white supremacy and advance the human rights of all people. The Director of Creative sets and communicates strategic goals related to creative and visual messaging and translates these goals into actionable scopes of work. In addition to organizational leadership and collaboration, they also oversee the creative team and supervises the visual and administrative components of the team’s work.
The Director of Creative’s role is simultaneously artistic, supervisory, and administrative. The individual in this role must possess skills and experience related to the following: branding, communications, graphic design for print media and web, interactive media, motion graphics, video editing and production, strategic visioning and prototyping. They must also have a high-level of cultural competency with using photographs and illustrations in a racial justice advocacy context. Responsibilities also include interaction with end-users and clients, design organization and sourcing, operational budget setting and management, project management, personnel management and research.
Primary Job Functions:
• Manages, guides, and mentors a team of designers, video producers, creatives;
• Serves as a member of the SPLC Leadership Team;
• Oversees and manages the day-to-day operations of the department;
• Maintains the integrity of organization branding;
• Ensure that all forward-facing visual elements align with the SPLC’s mission, vision, and values;
• Prepares the department’s annual workplan and budget, set actionable and measurable goals, and track and approve expenses throughout the year;
• Facilitates collaborative planning and design processes for projects with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the integrity of the SPLC’s brand, mission, and values are maintained while achieving the goals of end-users;
• Sets creative direction, style and tone for the visual representation of forward-facing organization projects; and
• Schedules, monitors and maintains workflow of creative projects; sets and meets deadlines.
Related Work Experience:
• Ten (10) years of relevant design experience (portfolio is required); and
• Significant leadership and managerial experience.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Passionate advocate for racial justice and anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion principles;
• Inspires trust, invites collaboration and engenders an environment of teamwork;
• Ability to provide staff guidance and mentorship;
• Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative, receive constructive feedback;
• Ability to develop talent and oversee the professional growth of staff;
• A great listener and communicator with a high level of emotional intelligence;
• Demonstrated cultural competency with using photographs and illustrations in a racial justice advocacy context;
• Experience working within an agency/ design shop environment;
• Strong project management skills;
• Highly proficient in the most current version of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator);
• Excellent communication skills;
• Must have continual attention-to-detail to all projects while establishing priorities and meeting deadlines;
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to man- age multiple competing tasks and demands; and
• The ability to work independently and/or with a team and prioritize several projects at once