Even though we’re in the business of software, we are a company of people.
We are currently 17 distributed team mates in the UK, USA, Spain, Portugal, Germany and South Africa. Our plan this year to keep hiring all year to get us to more like 24 (and beyond).
We are looking for a full time People Operations Manager to help us grow and nurture that team.
Hiring is the most important thing we do here. We stay small so we can keep things tight. But we are growing, and we have big plans for our product and serving our customers.
Our YCBM People Operations Manager will be the one who leads our recruitment, but more importantly, ensure that our day to day ‘Human Resources’ are taken care of.
This covers everything from first day induction questions to organising the company’s international retreats (we’ve been to Costa Rica, Lisbon, Dominican Republic and Malaga to name a few). We also want to do more for our team - taking care of the ‘added extras’ that make working at YCBM special.
So who are we looking for?
Well, clearly you need to like people. That means being empathetic, being interested, having a sense of humour, love people stories and of course, be an instinctive communicator. Listen and asking questions will be your MO - and how to translate that into action your super power.
It also means you are there to understand the relationships with our team contractually as well as emotionally. What have they signed up for? Yes we have profit share, generous salaries, perks and benefits. We’re not a stingy company - we treat people like adults. But we also have rules, a culture, and set of processes and policies and we want everyone to be bound by them.
We have a comprehensive Employee Handbook, which is our letter of the law, but our ‘who we are’ culture deck would be your guiding spirit.
Ultimately we are looking for people who love customers, love helping people, and want to do their best work. We will free your from the usual (ahem) bureaucracy of large companies, but without the stress and chaos of small start up, hustling to find product-market fit. Yes, we have the best of both worlds - big company benefits, small company culture.
The People Operations Manager at YouCanBook.me will:
- create seamless employee lifecycle experience from hiring, contract management, onboarding, offboarding, training, performance management to benefit, policies, and systems management.
- be the first point of contact for everyone in the team on any queries relating to their employment, company policies, or procedures.
- take charge of hiring for our new roles, work with the line managers and CEO to keep the process flowing.
- take ongoing initiatives to improve the company culture and well-being and ensure everyone in the organization continues to love working at YCBM. Stay in touch with everyone regularly. Be the keeper of the culture.
- develop and implement modern HR concepts on diversity, performance management, team development, employee engagement, etc.
- identify learning needs for business units/teams and individual needs. Develop and implement programs to continuously enhance the knowledge and skillset of people.
- coordinate with our international payroll team in the US / Spain / Europe / UK to ensure we are up to date on benefits/contracts and employment rights to ensure everyone in YCBM gets roughly the same benefits working here and that the company is compliant with relevant local legislation.
- manage everyone’s HR profiles on BambooHR - including oversight of training, performance reviews, and individual situations.
- build and maintain an employer brand that attracts the very best talent into YCBM and be part of the people operations community on behalf of YCBM - we care about best practice, inclusion, and company culture - particularly for remote companies.
- coordinate administration processes around our ‘’virtual’’ office incl. all the logistics and management of our team meetups.
- act as the main point of contact in outsourced partner relationship management, including negotiating contracts and agreements with the relevant providers.
- work with the CEO and the Chief of Staff in managing our strategic team management priorities and translate the overall business strategy into the culture and people operations strategy.
Our expectations that the successful candidate will have:
- familiar working within the UK employment environment
- at least 5 years working in a people-ops / HR role (incl. recruitment), ready to take on a senior, responsible role
- a passion for elevating the employee lifecycle experience
- managed both the best and the hardest parts of people - hiring and firing
- fluent in the compliance and legal aspects of HR
- experience of using BambooHR / ATS or another online cloud people-hr tool
- love tech and automation, hate point-scoring
- nice to have: previously worked for a SaaS or software company
- an even nicer to have: international experience/exposure (studied, lived, worked abroad or managed international HR)
What you would be benefitting from in return*
- 100% remote, your equipment, wifi / office or co-working space all covered
- Salary £50k+ this is for a mid-level post, we try and keep things in 'bands' and everything is internally published.
- 'Unlimited' holiday plus public holidays - we expect everyone to be taking 5-6 weeks leave a year
- Fully funded private health / dental insurance in the UK
- 5% employer contribution to private pension
- Fully funded leave policies for parents
- Participation in profit share after 1.5 years
*we're open to you leading on making this list better for everyone ;-)
What do you need to do to get this job?
- We love cover letters and CV to introduce yourself to us. Since your job would be to lead on our hiring process, we recommend you take in our CEO’s piece on how we hire
- this is how we’ll run the process until you start and make improvements as we can always be better.
- Get to know YCBM - we are unusual but not unique. We want someone in the UK because, although the international team outnumbers the UK team, ultimately our employment jurisdiction is focussed in the UK and you need to be confident about what the basics are
- Show us what you've done and what you've learned - if we select you for the 1st stage of review, we’ll be asking you to tell us about problems you’ve solved and triumphs you’re proud of, and the most important question, why you want to work for us?