Kinzoo is on a mission to become the most trusted brand for incorporating technology into our children’s lives. Our family-friendly platforms empower children to connect with loved ones, flex their creative muscles and cultivate new passions—all while surrounded by those who matter most.
What We’re Looking For: Backend Developer (Lead, Sr.)
You are responsible for deployment, development, maintenance, and testing of our backend APIs/Services. You are able to see creative opportunities while maintaining a steadfast focus on prioritizing the most impactful work. You have a deep understanding of our current and potential capabilities and share your knowledge openly with the product team. This role involves ownership of our backend with an emphasis on putting user and data security at the forefront of everything we do.
You will make an impact by:
- Partnering with product managers to create technical solutions that increase value for children, families, and partners
- Contributing to all stages of the development process from requirements definition to deployment, deployment, and quality assurance
- Carefully evaluating and communicating the merits and costs of feature choices
- Finding simple, creative solutions to complex problems
- Optimizing the application for maximum speed and scalability without compromising on security and data protection
- Deploying database schema changes in a production environment, optimizing queries and exploring new tools/techniques
Our Ideal Candidate
- 4+ years experience developing backends with at least one shipped product
- Excellent programming skills and experience with architecting and building scalable solutions with Go and PostgreSQL
- A passion for problem solving with a desire to dig in when facing a challenge
- Knowledge of web service technologies and experience creating RESTful APIs
- Basic HTML & CSS skills for admin panel and email support
- Experience with Amazon AWS platform
- Experience owning the documentation for APIs and keeping everything up-to-date
- Ability to write clean, maintainable code and manage details
- Bonus: Interest and experience in startups is a plus, you should be comfortable working in a close-knit team and fast-paced environment
- As passionate about our industry as we are!
- Excited about making a great app with thoughtfully designed APIs & services
- Someone who thrives on feedback and takes ownership
- Always looking for better ways to design and develop software
- An evangelist of best practices and emerging trends (TDD, CI, Pairing, Code Review)
- Tenacious, self motivated and open to continuous collaboration
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable to changing priorities
Our Guiding Principles
1. We design for kids first: when it comes to technology, they're the most underserved group—and we're here to meet their needs.
2. We bring families closer: Kinzoo exists because we believe that technology can help us make memories and share experiences that wouldn't otherwise exist.
3. We respect and empower children: they're smart and tech-savvy and we build products that reflect that.
4. We make decisions as parents first: we're here to build a better future for our children and that shows in every decision we make.
How We Like to Work
- We have gusto—we are entrepreneurial, creative and independent.
- We pour ourselves into solving customer problems.
- We see possibilities—and we don't just settle for the way things have always been done.
- We are open and vocal—we create a safe space to debate and embrace new ideas.
- We are always learning—we put a premium on personal growth and development.
- We’re inquisitive and open-minded: we consider many options over one solution—no egos here!
- We are persistent and resourceful: we consistently follow through on our long-term goals.
- We always do our homework: data and feedback are essential ingredients to success.
How To Apply
If you’re inspired by our mission and want to help us make an impact, we’d love to hear from you! To get started, please apply. We’re open to talent regardless of location, so remote workers are encouraged to apply! The interview process might differ slightly depending on the position, but here’s what you can expect:
1. An initial phone call to get to know you: we’ll chat about your background and ours—and get on the same page before any next steps.
2. A team interview: you’ll get to meet the people you’d be working with.
3. A skills assessment or technical interview: we’ll dig into the finer details of the job and see if it’s a good fit.
And, we will keep you in the loop every step of the way.
Kinzoo believes that diversity within our team is essential to our success. We also know that diversity doesn’t just happen and we are actively looking to foster it at all levels in our company. Our talent pipeline is one way we’re working on this, so we encourage people of color, women, non-binary individuals and anyone from groups that are traditionally under-represented in the tech industry to apply.