Labforward is a technology start-up developing groundbreaking Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products for laboratories and scientists.
We have three core products: Labfolder - an electronic laboratory notebook that allows scientists to record all their data in one place, Laboperator - a platform to connect and control laboratory devices using IoT technology, and Labregister - the inventory management system of the lab.
Our products are collaborative, easy to use, and make scientific data more reliable. We are building the operating system of the lab, connecting data, devices and researchers. We will never stop innovating to enhance productivity at the bench with technology.
We are looking for an Engineering Lead (m/w/d) to take over team management from the CTO, accelerate development of our cross-product platform and better enable our product teams to focus on building their products.
About the role
Our current tech stack
- Direct management of the team, OKR planning and recruitment of new members in accordance with the hiring roadmap
- Reliably deliver high-quality software products and serve as the primary point of contact within the organization for technical questions and any needed alignment between teams
- Collaborate with the product leads to plan and estimate feature development in terms of time and resources for better placement into the yearly product roadmap.
- Maintain the flow of work for your team: review, prioritize, schedule any new work and regularly assess blockers and stagnant issues to help your team finish any work in progress.
- Further, develop and influence our shared engineering practices as well as manage the teams access and adoption of tools and practices (ex: usage of Jira, Code Reviews, Code Standards, Test Practices, and other critical Ways of Working).
- Review project’s adherence to: customer SLAs, security, coding, UI/UX best practices, any performance targets for the application
- Participate in open communication with your colleagues towards the goals of improving our team, product, and processes.
- Backend: Java 11, Spring, Hibernate, MySQL, REST API, Elasticsearch, MinIO, AWS S3
- Other: GitHub, CircleCI, AWS, Docker, Gradle, IntelliJ IDEA, VS Code
Nice to have:
- At least 5 years of technical experience with at least 2 years of experience in team management
- Understanding of cloud infrastructure for one major provider ( AWS, Azure, GCP) and a CI tool (CircleCI, Jenkins, Travis, etc)
- Knowledge of at least one relational database (MySQL, Postgres, etc) and build tool (Maven, Gradle, etc)
- Effective manager, open, honest, and respectful communicator
- Pragmatic problem-solver, goal-focused and results-oriented
- Open to work in an international environment - expected advanced level of English
- You are looking forward to working for a startup and are ready to take ownership
- Bachelor or Master degree in STEM (preferably in CS)
- Experience with any of the following: Elasticsearch, Kubernetes, Redis, MinIO, Code coverage tools, Application Security
Come join our passionate team and make a difference for science with us!
The position can be filled in Berlin, Karlsruhe, or remotely in Germany with regular travel to Berlin.
Please apply through the links on the career page of our website (applications received via email will not be considered).
In addition to your CV (in English) and portfolio/online profiles, we prefer to work with focused questions rather than a formal cover letter. Even if you don't tick all the boxes, please tell us:
1. How does this job corresponds to your expectations?
2. What would you bring in the team?
3. What do you think of our products?
You can provide as many details as you wish, and do not worry if you may not know enough about our products - we will be happy to elaborate on that during the initial call!
Please, no recruiters!
About the team
We brought together a diverse team of passionate scientists, technologists and entrepreneurs committed to simplifying the life of laboratory teams and helping them in their quest to bring innovations and discoveries to the world.
Diversity makes us stronger. However different you may be, come as you are, be part of the team and help us become better. Our diversity and inclusion policy is based on respect and communication. We value each team member for their strengths and weaknesses and cherish complementarity. A healthy work-life balance is encouraged and supported. Our offices in Berlin and Karlsruhe are both equipped with an elevator to ensure accessibility for everyone.
Why work at Labforward?
Our products matter - the software we create assists scientists in the laboratory, making their job easier and clearing the path for groundbreaking discoveries.
Our employees matter - Labforward offers the unique opportunity to grow into your role and shape it how you see fit, with flexible hours and remote working policies, a yearly budget for learning, a company pension plan and many more! For a detailed list please visit our career site.
Our culture matters - we are a small and international company: our team is supportive, agile and inclusive, we often run staff social events to strengthen the team dynamic.
Our mission matters - working at a startup means that you will contribute to exciting and innovative projects that are changing the laboratory environment for the better.