ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Product Designer to play a key role on the Digital Products team at TED. You’ll work on complex design projects that touch millions of users – from conference technology, web and mobile experiences, and supporting our many community and social impact initiatives.
Please include a portfolio with your application (with password, if necessary).
- Define the end-to-end user experience on various products serving a variety of user needs, increasing engagement, strengthening community, and driving the impact of ideas
- Drive projects forward from whiteboard sketching to high-fidelity final treatments
- Plan and execute user research, deploying all the tools in your arsenal to understand user pain points, motivations, habits, and workflows
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes, recognizing that there is rarely “one right answer” and there is value in exploring trade-offs
- Collaborate with other Product Designers as well as Product Managers, Engineers, and other stakeholders, both informally and through participation in structured reviews and Design Sprints
- Define critical user journeys and promote a culture of product design excellence not only inside the Digital Products team, but also across TED more broadly
- Champion user experience and advocate for design and user research best practice across the organisation, helping to build our design team culture, processes, and systems
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- 2-5 years of experience in product design
- Fluency in a broad range of software design disciplines, including interaction design, information architecture, and visual design; familiarity with motion design and native app design
- Experience leading complex design efforts from ideation through prototyping, refinement, iteration, user testing, launch, post-launch maintenance, and turndowns when necessary
- Track record of successful collaboration with Product Managers, Engineers, and stakeholders (preferably with both in-person and distributed teams)
- Track record of leveraging design systems, design tools (e.g., Figma, Miro, usertesting.com), and user research to accelerate iteration and development
- Strong communication, curiosity, collaboration, and perspective-taking skills – eager to understand the goals, values, and constraints of others, whether they are TED staff, partners, users, or beyond
- Mission-driven and keen to support and grow our global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment where we navigate the complexities of both scale (especially on ted.com) and crafted experience (especially for our conferences)
- Your current location is flexible, but you’ll need to work U.S. east coast hours. Once it is safe, this position can be based in TED’s Manhattan office, though we will also consider candidates who would indefinitely work remotely.
WHY WORK FOR US
TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Everything we do is driven by this goal: How can we best spread great ideas?
In addition to driving forward TED’s mission and joining our dynamic Digital Products team, we’re proud to provide strong employee benefits, including:
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you're eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- Paid family leave
- 401(k) with match