Power Auctions LLC is a leading international provider of expert auction services and state-of-the-art web-based auction software for high-stakes auctions. We have run well over 200 high-stakes auctions on six continents, including the FCC spectrum auctions, spectrum auctions in Canada and Australia, electricity auctions in the UK and the US, rough (uncut) diamond auctions for Botswana, and offshore wind rights auctions for the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (U.S. Department of Interior). Our projects are always interesting and varied. We are well-known in our field, have strong connections to economics professors at a number of universities, and hold a number of patents in auction design.
We are looking for a full-time product designer. You will be collaborating with the product team to create new web app designs for Power Auctions' specialized auction software. We have a strong foundation and are looking for someone to build upon that foundation.
Your daily work will include:
- Collaborate with the product team to identify requirements
- Facilitate brainstorming sessions to identify possible solutions
- Tease out and document use cases and usage patterns
- Wireframe prototypes and visually design out production-ready screens and components
- Integrate your solutions with our development team
- Work in a complex design environment built around data-heavy applications
- Implement customer branding both in design and in code
- Manage, organize, and maintain our design system to increase operational efficiency and build a consistent look and feel across all our products
- Map out our product language with improved voice & tone
- Enhance and maintain our UX/UI pattern library to improve communication and understanding with the team
- Test our existing designs and improve our web accessibility standards
- Aid and improve iconography, typography, and graphics throughout our applications
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 4 years design experience on a commercial or government project, preferably with business or financial web applications
- Strong familiarity with HTML, CSS, and the latest web standards
- Solid oral and written communication skills and the ability to express complex ideas collaboratively with the product team
- Good attention to detail so our product has a consistent look and feel throughout
- Loads of creativity
- Enthusiasm to work in a fast-paced and dynamically changing environment
- Able to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident (required)
- Degree in computer science, human-computer interaction, and/or any other design-related program
- Familiar with Sketch (sketchapp.com) and Abstract (abstract.com) for designing interfaces
- Economics or mathematics course study or experience, which is useful to understand parts of our application
On-site vs remote work:
Our headquarters is in Washington D.C. Because of the collaborative nature of the design work, we prefer candidates who are within a reasonable drive or train ride of the D.C. area. Some of the work may be done remotely, but there will be frequent requests to be present in the office. Please note that because of COVID-19, our offices are currently closed, so all work will be done remotely until the offices are cleared to reopen.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.