Parity Technologies builds core infrastructure to power a better internet—one that respects the freedom and data of individuals—and to empower developers to create better services through decentralized tech. Parity’s technologies include Substrate, a flexible framework for quickly building blockchains, and Polkadot, a protocol for connecting and securing blockchains. We are looking for a Security Operations Engineer to have a vigilant eye on our architecture, tooling and infrastructure with the goal of making our operations as secure and reliable as possible. The goal of the Staking Ops team is to ensure security, reliability, and health of the Polkadot network from a foundation level with the operation of node infrastructure to validate all activity across Polkadot and other substrate based networks.
- Design and implement secure cloud and on-premise infrastructure to validate on substrate based networks.
- Work within systems that secure millions of dollars of cryptocurrency from motivated attackers.
- Instrument high-signal alerts from production infrastructure events to provide early indicators of network attacks and compromises. Create playbooks of what to do in the case of such events.
- Model and evaluate risks of slashing for validator nodes from an operational perspective and prioritize security efforts based on these risk assessments.
- Monitor for unsafe and uncertain conditions and design fallback systems to support the stability of the network.
- Work with infrastructure and core runtime engineers to design and implement hardened, layered systems.
- Work with security engineers around securing digital assets in a production environment
- Respond to security alerts and triage incident response management.
- Work with core developer teams on security-critical projects, reviewing architecture designs and automating critical infrastructure tasks
- Refine alerting rules to improve signal/noise ratio of operational health and security
- Participate in an on-call rotation with colleagues in multiple time zones
- Solid foundation in Cryptography
- Has designed, implemented and worked with both hot and cold key storage systems.
- Deep knowledge of UNIX/Linux system internals such as system calls, TCP/IP and debugging tools.
- Working understanding of cryptocurrency infrastructure and proof-of-stake
- Experience with hardening the security of VPC and on-premise systems
- Experience working with containers and container orchestration systems (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS, ACS, GKE).
- Experience engineering and operating 24/7 public-facing infrastructure.
- Ability to debug complex systems running in uncertain environments.
- Experience evaluating risk and implementing security detections and protections.
- Experience instrumenting infrastructure with a variety of detections that provide high-signal, early indicators of intrusion and dangerous misconfiguration.
- Experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible, Terraform, and Vagrant
- Thinks automation first
- Experience with new and novel networking protocols, such as libp2p, dat, and quic.
- Experience with C++/Rust/Go or other system languages.
- Experience with Matrix servers
- Experience operating blockchain nodes
- Working at Parity means focusing on the stuff that counts: building of the most cutting-edge technology for the future web. Our teams enjoy a high degree of trust, freedom and autonomy to achieve that goal
- Because we value initiative and learning, we've defined a generous personal budget to attend conferences or skills courses of your own choosing. We think you know what's best for you!
- Parity is a diverse company with people from various countries and we will support you with German or English language courses where needed
- Not all of us who collaborate work in the same place. Bringing the team together is something we value a lot, so we regularly go on team retreats