TOMY is a global leader in the creation of children’s toys, games and juvenile products. We have an open position for an experienced Design Director with a broad perspective on various juvenile product sub-categories. Candidates should have experience in the creation of differentiated baby products of various materials, mechanisms and technologies. This is a team leadership role with a focus on industrial design and engineering solutions across three strong consumer brand businesses that includes The First Years, Boon and JJCole.
Education/Experience: Degree in Industrial Design; with a minimum 10 years in design leadership.
• Manage, mentor and develop a team of industrial designers and product engineers to generate highly differentiated consumer products that achieve commercial success.
• Guide and evolve the design DNA for multiple established consumer brands.
• Be a champion for product innovation throughout the organization, creating new business opportunities in support of our long term brand strategies.
• Direct and manage design development timelines and achieve on-time schedules.
• Work with third parties to support the development of innovation including new technologies, inventions, patents, material solutions and mechanical applications.
• Maintain insight and knowledge of the fast changing world of children’s juvenile products, understanding consumer needs, trends, fashions and new technologies.
• Leading advocate for identifying new gaps and/or white space in the juvenile products market.
• Integration of consumer research into practical product solutions.
• Ability and skills to personally contribute in the creation of concepts, execute industrial design solutions and solve complex product development issues.
• Drive the development of new products from concept to production across multiple juvenile products categories, with an eye toward improving speed to market.
• Support cross-functional management across the organization including brand marketing, product integrity, project management, international product development teams in China, and executive management in corporate headquarters.
• Interact, manage and build long term relationships with all external partners, including designers, engineers, inventors, licensors and other stakeholders.
• Ability to adapt to the ever-changing business environment in order to grow sales.
• Present new product concepts to internal and external stakeholders, including TOMY’s executive management and retail buyers.
• Proven track record of being a high performer and true professional in everything that you do.
• Excellent understanding of design methodology, materials, mechanics, engineering and manufacturing processes.
• Ability to articulate insight driven design solutions.
• Strong communications skills, particularly in the creation and delivery of conceptual ideas and customer product presentations.
• Ability to manage, mentor, inspire and develop multiple designers
• Proficient with hand sketches and fluency with Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Familiar with technology tools: Adobe Creative suite, Adobe Acrobat, Sketchbook Pro, Soildworks, Keyshot, Ultimaker Cura, and Microsoft Office.