ViaEurope means: smart Web-Apps & APIs combined with real warehouses, clearing thousands of parcels each day - bringing products from all over the world to Europe.
We are growing fast and are looking for a Data Warehouse Engineer who can support the development of the ViaEurope applications - work remotely or join us in Berlin. Come and join our international dream team to make e-commerce to Europe easy.
As a Data Warehouse Engineer with extensive experience building, scaling and maintaining relational databases and data warehouses and the ability to understand and manipulate our large datasets, you’ll work closely with our newly formed Business Intelligence team and provide them with the infrastructure and raw data that allows them to generate insightful information to help them monitor and manage their daily operations in the most efficient way.
As a member of the tech team you will also get the chance to optimize our existing operational databases, helping us to ensure that queries run fast and data is consistent. We will rely on your expertise when evaluating our data architecture or debugging gnarly queries.
You will be joining our tech team in Berlin, but you will also be working closely with our operations and business intelligence teams in the Netherlands and Belgium as well as our sales and support team in China.
What we are looking for:
Your skills and experience:
- In-depth discussions with colleagues to understand their data requirements.
- Planning, designing, deploying and maintaining data warehouse systems to power our BI solutions.
- Developing data architectures, data modelling solutions within the DWH and our production databases.
- Developing and maintaining ETL pipelines from various data sources into the DWH.
- Support the development and validation required through the lifecycle of the DWH and Business Intelligence systems, maintain user connectivity.
- Ensure the security of the DWH.
- Monitor the DWH and BI systems performance and integrity provide corrective and preventative maintenance as required.
- Analyze and optimize usage of the existing production PostgreSQL systems.
- Writing and maintaining documentation describing our DWH infrastructure, ideally in a structured, executable form (infrastructure-as-code).
- Provide training and coaching to your peers regarding efficient database querying, etc.
At ViaEurope you will enjoy
- Extensive experience with SQL coding and relational database software administration.
- Experience with PostgreSQL is appreciated (we are currently using PostgreSQL and Redis exclusively).
- Extensive experience with at least one general purpose programming language, for example, Ruby, Python, Go, Elixir, Crystal, Java, Shell Script, etc. — our software stack is mainly based on Ruby / Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with common data warehousing/OLAP systems to build a multidimensional data warehouse.
- Familiarity with cubes and data models.
- Experience with designing, developing and implementing cloud-based ETL pipelines and monitoring their health.
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Strong capabilities in identifying data and process relations and high capacity to quickly adapt to changes.
- Verbal and written English skills are a must.
- Willingness to work independently. You’ll be given the freedom and responsibility to fulfil your own tasks, managing your time the way you see fit but always delivering quality work and being respectful of deadlines.
- Casual Dress: ViaEurope cultivates a start-up mindset and therefore promotes a casual work environment.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in meetings, team building events, celebrations, and much more.
- Self-empowerment: We believe in people and therefore give space for own initiatives and self-development.