Renting is the largest expense for the average household, and finding the right place can often be overwhelming and stressful. At Apartment List, we are building an easy, delightful, and effective apartment search experience that will make millions of renters’ lives better, by making this process less of a burden. This Product Designer will work alongside our Discovery team, who is directly responsible for our core business and logged in product. Their charter aims to bring renters through their search process, from matching them with their preferences, to facilitating their connection to properties, and in many ways is the heart of our marketplace. If you dream of bringing delightful experiences to life, and solving real people problems, here is your opportunity.
This role can be worked 100% remotely within the US.
What you'll do:
- Create end-to-end designs for mobile-web, desktop-web applications and native applications (Android and iOS)
- Participate in all parts of the design process - research, brainstorming, sketching, wireframing/flow creation, final visuals, and asset creation.
- Perform evaluative and usability research on features, communicate findings, and propose changes to address issues found. You should be able to translate insights from user studies into meaningful actions.
- Partner with the Head of Design, Engineers, Product Analytics and Product Managers to lead project teams to success.
- Work on our Discovery team product line to create a memorable, highly engaging and personal search process -- from matching them with their preferences, to facilitating their connection to properties.
- Owns the user experience for how renters express their preferences, how results are presented, and how renters interact with them.
- Take the work out of researching properties by creating delightful, data rich ways for renters to learn about great matches.
- Work alongside our Native team team to build the best in class iOS and Android products that reflect our core experience, while optimizing uniquely native experiences.
Here are the skills and experience you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- 7+ years of experience shipping product - You know what it means to release high quality product at each stage of development. You can share several shining examples of real work you've shipped, from web to native applications, and what you learned along the way.
- Strong interaction design chops - You can take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into something useful and valuable for the millions of renters in the US. You also know how to take advantage of platform specific design patterns.
- Passionate about users - you advocate for the best user experience that will achieve both user and business goals.
- Business minded - understand how to manage business needs while meeting user needs.
- Fearless - you create modern and innovative designs in an effort to build world-class applications that solve users' needs and desires, and are seen as a leader by your multi-disciplinary peers.
- Mobile first - 80% of our traffic comes from mobile web, which is good because you love designing for users on the go.
- Pixel perfect - You demonstrate high quality visual designs.
- Prototyping - Prototyping is a key part of your toolset and you are comfortable doing so for multiple platforms.
What you believe / stand for:
- Being user-centric as the first principle: whether it’s renters, leasing agents, or fellow apartment listers, you can articulate the pain points of your users - you thrive on crafting insights from qualitative and quantitative research, and then brainstorming solutions with the team. You believe in solving user problems AND business needs, not prioritizing one over the other.
- Excellence is important to you - you want to be amongst kind, passionate people who push each other to be better.
What’s in it for you:
- Massive impact: As the evangelist of our search experience, you will be empowered to impact the trajectory of your product team and our business in a major way.
- Meaning behind your work - they’re not just a big financial responsibility; homes are a place of safety and shelter, as well as a place where renters can hope to launch their hopes and dreams. Finding a home is a daunting, emotional process, and your work will make a real difference in Renters’ lives.
- Career development: We’re always growing, and will expect your scope & responsibilities to grow alongside your impact.
- An exceptional team: Our hiring bar is high and your colleagues are talented, motivated, self-starters.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed, we encourage you to apply.
Apartment List is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.