LabTwin is the first voice-powered assistant for scientists. Our purpose is to make R&D better, faster and more efficient.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to build out our backend systems. You will work closely with designers and product managers to define, scope and implement backend solutions to further improve our product. You will be instrumental in owning parts of the architecture, implementation, and deployment of our backend services.
Most of our current backend is built using Kotlin and Spring Boot 2, running on Kubernetes on AWS, although we also maintain some smaller services and tools written with other technologies (e.g. Ruby, Python). All our cloud infrastructure is managed as code via Terraform. We continuously deploy changes to multiple environments every day. As a business-to-business company, we routinely tackle additional challenges, such as security and compliance considerations as well as integration with third-party software and enterprise environments.
- Delivering efficient and pragmatic solutions to new product features in short sprint cycles
- Developing and maintaining cloud-native software across multiple environments
- Architecting robust backend systems that multiple clients depend on
- Collaborating closely with teams across disciplines (Data Science, Product, Design etc.)
- Owning your code in all staging from software design to running in production
Nice to Have
- 5+ years of experience leading and implementing production grade software in a professional (well structured/good processes/sophisticated) environment
- Experience developing for the JVM (Kotlin, Java or similar, preferably using Spring Boot)
- Excellent software architecture skills
- Excellent software testing (unit, integration, ...) skills
- Experience with deployment of cloud-native software and DevOps mindset
- Working knowledge of modern cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Kubernetes)
- Comfortable in continuously delivering changes to backend systems (CI & CD)
- Excellent problem-solving skills and being capable of taking the initiative
- Willingness to learn about new problem domains and technologies
- Ability to work independently on tasks
- Ability to constructively participate in discussions about software solutions
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written). German not required
A team with a great mission
- Previous experience with Kotlin
- Experience working with multiple programming languages and frameworks
- Experience working in B2B and enterprise integrations
- Experience working in the domains of software security or compliance
: Being part of our mission to help passionate and innovative scientists accelerate scientific discovery. A diverse team of experienced interdisciplinary colleagues including life scientists.
: Our commitment to support your professional and personal development. Budget for seminars and conferences, internal training and onsite German courses.Science education, a small demo lab to enable everyone to understand our users better. Room for ownership, creativity and cross functional collaboration. Access for O’Reilly learning platform and LinkedIn Learning platform.
: Flexibility in work schedule, including home office. Meeting free Fridays to focus. 30 days of paid leave, as long as you promise to take them all. ;-)
We want you to feel great here
: A gym around the corner, healthy snacks. Really good coffee. And you will work in one of the best spaces in central Berlin. A beautiful garden, roof terrace and grill for a nice evening. And an AC for very hot Berlin summer.
A great work-life balance that we care about.