We're Unlock, a platform for virtual experiences to build better team cohesion and culture. Our mission is to unify distributed teams through fun and purposeful interactions and create moments of delight for millions through our curated activity marketplace. We are a remote-first team ourselves, backed by top tier VCs and angel investors.
We're looking for someone driven, creative, and caring to improve Unlock's UI and UX as one of our first non-engineering hires.
We need you because we've got a beta already running but want to improve our product and make it fantastic to use. You'll have autonomy, flexibility, a great working environment, a meaty challenge and a chance to make an impact by getting in on the ground floor of something big.
👋 Who we are
You can read more on our detailed "working with us" page. But here's some flavour:
- There are eight of us at the moment, three co-founders and five engineers.
- We've got a product in private beta and are planning a public launch soon.
- We've just raised our seed round and are backed by top tier VCs and angels.
- We are operating out of London but are remote-first and happy to hire anywhere within 3 hours of GMT.
- We've got generous benefits and a work culture that highlights fun, teamwork, execution and ownership.
- We like to spend time together and get to know each other as people and not just co-workers.
- We know there's more to life than work and respect each other's personal time.
- The most commonly-used emoji in our group chat is 🔥
🤘 The role
In three words, you will own Unlock's design.
In a few more words, you will be the Picasso of our team! We are looking for a designer who can help us transform our dream vision into reality and our raw beta into a beautiful, smooth platform which is fun, engaging, simple to use and human-centric. You will be involved in both UI and UX design, though initially you'll spend most of your time on UI.
This is a remote-friendly position and you will report to the Head of Product as part of the product team. You will also collaborate with the engineering team to ensure that technical requirements are met, as well as spend time with our users, founders and advisors. You’ll establish yourself as a critical part of our growth, offer ideas and input, have the freedom to act on your instincts and to leave your mark on Unlock.
🏗️ The day-to-day
- Gather and evaluate user requirements and feedback, in collaboration with the product team.
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows, user journeys, personas and the other tools in your UX/UI arsenal.
- Coordinate with the product manager and developers, adjusting your specs and deliverables to meet product requirements and limitations.
- Use tools like Figma or Sketch to produce pixel-perfect designs for different device types and scenarios, and collaborate with developers to make them real.
- Communicate ideas effectively to the wider team, taking on board comments and feedback as part of the creative process.
- Help analyse user behaviour and drive design decisions that lead to improving our user engagement metrics.
🎯 Who we're looking for
Below are the key traits and experience an ideal candidate will probably have. But people's stories are all different and we're not looking for someone who fits in a box - so this is a wish list, not a precise recipe. If the role sounds exciting to you, please drop us a line in any case 🔥
We'd really want you to...
- Be someone whose personality and preferences suit an early-stage startup: you move fast, you learn fast, you're curious, you take initiative, you are ok with uncertainty, you have a team-first mentality, you help others, you're kind, you're driven and you have a hunger for building something great.
- Have product design experience, be familiar with design thinking methodologies and be fluent in visual design principles.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of UI/UX skills such as sketching, iterating, wireframing, receiving feedback and prototyping.
- Be confident with design & prototyping tools such as Figma, Sketch and Adobe CC.
- Know how to balance craft, speed and technical limitations rather than getting stuck on making the prettiest possible UI.
- Have a portfolio demonstrating your craft and showing your process of translating outcomes into outputs.
It would be a plus if you also...
- Are excited about the problem we're solving - building team cohesion in distributed workplaces and communities.
- Have experience working within an agile / lean team environment
- Have some front-end experience (e.g. some knowledge of HTML/CSS or React). We don’t expect you to be able to write production-ready code, but it helps if you can empathise with ease of implementation, and know the limitations of the web.
💪 How to apply
If this sounds exciting to you, we'd love to hear from you. Just click here and leave your details.
As a reminder, you can read more about the process and what we offer in our "working with us" page.
Let's create moments of delight! 😍🎢🚀💪🔥