Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new standard for law enforcement tools and technology. Our users are diverse, and we are therefore committed to embracing diversity of thought and experience within our team.
A Lead Product Designer, working on the design system at Mark43 will enable the engineering and design organizations to scale our development process by creating and maintaining a design system and component library. As the first Lead Product Designer, on Design Systems, you will lead the effort to create and maintain the design system and components library. You will shape the user behaviors we support, mentor other engineers, and be responsible for both the execution of various design system initiatives and their expression in the product.
What you can expect to work on:
Responsible for the entirety of the design system:
- Craft system-level design elements that function across diverse user experiences (dispatchers, first responders, supervisors) and platforms (web, iOS, Android).
- Maintain and update the component library and its codebase.
- Refine and maintain existing tools for designers and developers—research, develop and implement new tooling and practices.
- Measure the success of proposed and existing patterns.
While reporting to the Director of Design, you will work closely with many teams to:
- Participate in routine code reviews with engineering.
- Participate in our design feedback and reviews with the broader design team.
- Participate in sprint planning and quarterly roadmap discussions with product.
- Serve as a 'translator' between the engineering and design teams.
Collaborate closely with the design, product and engineering team:
- Educate designers and engineers by sharing relevant best practices, design patterns and anti-patterns across various industries and platforms.
- Collaborate with designers to create design components and advise on those being designed by others, offering feedback and guidance on all types of projects.
- Document and communicate how your components behave so that designers, engineers, and product managers get the most out of our design system.
What we expect from you:
- Previous experience creating design systems in-house for product startups or an agency portfolio that demonstrates a deep understanding of systems
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work cross-functionally to lead an engineering project from start to finish
- Ability to manage an entire system from beginning to end, to think about the system as a whole, and make rational and logical design and engineering decisions
- Knowledge of modern, emerging web and mobile UI patterns and design tools
- Ability to flourish in an environment of continuous learning and eager to advance craft further
- Ability to mentor and guide junior designers while being a source of inspiration!
- Expert knowledge of CSS, including component-based approaches to styling (i.e. styled-components, emotion, etc.)
- Comfort with React, including fundamentals (state and props) and more advanced patterns (hooks vs. render props, when to use the context, etc.)
Nice to haves:
- UX certification or prior design training
- Comfort with HTML including accessibility/a11y and semantic elements
What you can expect from us:
- Opportunities to build mission-critical and socially-responsible software to enable first responders to better serve their communities
- Constant collaboration with numerous Mark43 teams, including Design, Product, and Engineering
- Working alongside top-notch designers passionate about a wide array of topics, such as pixel-level UI design, rapid/clickable prototyping, research/product testing experience, and other multi-disciplinary design skills (we design: digital products, print marketing, exhibit booths, our office space, etc.)
- An opportunity to build something amazing over which you are the sole owner.
- A team that respects and embraces your ideas and expertise
- Coworkers that are motivated primarily by pursuing excellence, rather than the prospect of short-term personal gain
- A workplace dedicated to supporting and bettering public safety and government agencies