Zevia is the leading zero calorie, naturally sweetened beverage brand. We were the first to create Sodas sweetened with stevia, a plant-based sweetener. We have since introduced Energy, Mixers, Organic Tea, and Kidz platforms to our beverage portfolio, and all of the Zevia beverage platforms are growing at a rapid pace. Our office is a fun, entrepreneurial environment, full of fiercely passionate and talented people determined to work together, have fun and make consumer packaged goods history. Our Team Members are collaborative and supportive, with an insatiable hunger to change the beverage game.
The Art Director reports to the Chief Marketing Officer and is responsible for the for the overall oversight and strategic development of the creative team. They will lead the creation of creative assets that meet marketing strategies, all while ensuring the brand’s voice and vision are consistent and proactively evolving. The Art Director will take a lead role on projects and supervise a team of Graphic Designers in creating concepts, comps, layouts and final art.
The ideal candidate will bring at least 6-7+ years of corporate management, marketing and design experience, with a preference towards working on a CPG brand (ideally Food and Beverage). The Art Director will be a brand ambassador who believes in Zevia’s mission and products. We are looking for someone that gets the big picture and loves the little details.
If interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume, link to your portfolio, highlighting your relevant CPG, advertising and/or packaging design experience. Resume's without portfolio references will not be considered.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lead and directly manage a team of graphic designers, providing coaching and mentorship to aid in their professional development. May engage and manage freelance artists and designers on projects.
- Oversees the execution of strategic department initiatives as well as drives the development and implementation of marketing, packaging, and advertising concepts and campaigns.
- Present a positive company and product image to prospective consumers in every interaction.
- Push the creative while understanding the needs of the brand and the strategy behind a brief.
- Oversee, direct and perform a wide range of routine to complex graphic design duties, including development of print, POS collateral, multimedia illustration, performance digital advertising, website UX, digital content, and product packaging.
- Evolve the Brand Style Guide for internal and external use, providing design standards, tools and guidance on communicating corporate image and identity both on and offline.
- Ensure all forms of outbound communications are proofed, on brief and appropriate prior to release of artwork for internal approval purposes and to vendors.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Competencies and Skills/Abilities:
- Must have managerial experience and the willingness to coach and manage junior members working within established deadlines.
- Resourcefulness and proactivity is a required skill along with a strong desire to define the look and feel of what is next in how we continue to define our brand.
- Creative excellence and innovation in all forms of advertising and promotional materials.
- Considers themselves to be a “marketer”, understanding the balance of great design and functionality.
- Strong interest in and following of latest trends in design, technology, traditional marketing, retail marketing, digital marketing and social media.
- A solid understanding of designing intuitive site functionality, interaction, user interfaces, and navigation - programming knowledge a plus.
- Has experience with retail marketing programs and omni-channel marketing tactics.
- Expert-level knowledge and skills in the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Proficiency in Wordpress, HTML, and CSS is useful, but not required
- Ability to take direction well and work in a cross-functional, team environment.
- Strong understanding of branding, trend positioning and translation.
- Strong digital production experience.
- Exceptional aesthetic. Strong sense of specialty marketplace whose work would speak to a market appropriate customer.
- Output must appeal to both millennial and boomer demographics.
- Is a great listener and is a team player, collaborates in a positive and productive manner.
- Has a positive attitude, thrives in a busy environment, can self-prioritize and get it done!
- Would be described as eternally curious.
- Has a passion for natural products.
- Possesses a by-any-means necessary attitude.
- Has a passion for marketing and advertising.
- Is confident and is able to articulate their own design point of view.
- Has an interest in pushing the boundaries to build a brand.
Required Education and Experience
- 6+ years of leadership experience; overseeing a team of creatives and managing the creative function.
- 6+ years of hands on graphic design creating exceptional brand experience with demonstrated strong illustration and production capabilities. Must have CPG brand experience.
- Strong technical proficiency working in a MAC environment
- Proficient in using Adobe Creative Suite 5 or 6 software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Expertise in using Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel) and Apple Keynote
- Experience with broadcast and photography production
- Flexibility in terms of handling a variety of assignments under tight deadlines while maintaining focus on attention to details, graphic consistency and quality
- Excellent grammar, spelling and proofreading skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent with packaging design
- Excellent with the print production process and various print methods
- Excellent with digital production
- Excellent working with various templates, specs and mechanicals.
This position is a direct supervisor and department leader. Leading the creative team will be a key focus and objective for this role.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to (10 pounds). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Regular, Full Time
The core Corporate office hours are 8 AM – 5 PM. On rare occasion, evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This will not require travel.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Zevia LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.