REMOTE CONTRACTED WordPress Engineer | The Profession |
The Art of Education University (AOEU) is seeking a contractor who will be responsible for expanding and maintaining our WordPress platform during a re-platforming effort. The WordPress Engineer will be responsible for developing all features and fixes, as well as writing automated tests around code changes. The WordPress Engineer will report directly to the Director of Software Engineering and will work closely with the Software Engineering team.
Software Engineering | What We Believe |
Software Engineering supports AOEU and its mission by making others’ lives and jobs easier through software.
Software should be a tool that allows others to reach their goals more efficiently and effectively. It should be thoughtfully designed, accessible, unobtrusive, and opinionated for the purpose it serves. We work with the Product Team and Stakeholders to accomplish this result.
Software is a “living” entity that is continually growing and changing. Our team follows iterative development cycles in order to make the right changes at the right time.
We are an open-source mindset team. Just as we use open-source software, we also contribute to the community.
We believe that it isn’t the code that makes our team successful, how we work and fit together is.
The Art of Education University | Who We Are |
Our mission is simple, driven, and inspiring: We grow amazing art teachers by providing rigorous, relevant, and engaging professional development at every stage of their career.
AOEU is an innovative and fast-growing institution of higher education serving art teachers around the world. In 2019, we became the first homegrown graduate university in the state of Iowa in 50 years and the world’s first “University For Life,” serving art educators throughout an entire lifetime of learning.
The Art of Education University serves tens of thousands of students, readers, and customers around the U.S. and in over 40 countries. Our Magazine is read more than 800,000 times each month, our events are attended by over 4,000 art educators annually, and we serve over 2,000 graduate students each year.
Our culture is at the heart of our success as an institution. We believe in a drama-free environment that upholds the ideals of Radical Candor©. We believe that your success is our success. You will always know where you stand and you will be challenged to grow and stretch yourself in ways you never imagined.
The Details | WordPress Engineer |
- Developing all features and fixes to our WordPress platform
- Write automated tests for all developed work
- Work with the Software Engineering team through the entire development process and CI/CD pipelines
- Participating in progress checks with the Director of Software Engineering
- The contractor will determine the method, details, and means of performing the services required
- Determining if and when additional support is needed
- If deemed necessary, hiring and managing assistants or employees at the contractor’s expense
- PHP and WordPress Development
- Experience writing unit/integration tests
- Setup and maintenance of WAMP environments
- Ability to work in an agile process
The duties of this position are typical of those performed in a home office setting with normal ranges of temperature. The majority of tasks will be performed while sitting at a desk.
- Position requires considerable concentration and focus throughout the day.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift items such as laptops, monitors, and the like.
VISUAL & TACTILE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to view computer screens for significant periods of time. The Art of Education University is an online university. Therefore 95-98% of one’s time will be on or using technology.
- Ability to use a laptop keyboard with accuracy.
- Ability to hear at normal levels and through electronic devices such as laptops, earbuds, phones, and the like.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a contracted position and this individual will report directly to Christopher Lamm, Director of Software Engineering.
Compensation is set between $40-$50 per hour and is determined by experience. Payroll is issued on a monthly basis paid on the 15th of the month.
Persons interested in applying should complete the application form linked below. Applicants are required to submit a short 1-3 minute video explaining why they would like to be considered for the position and why they are uniquely qualified. Failure to submit a video will automatically eliminate you from the application process.
Candidates who make it to Round 2 of the Application process will be required to complete a packet for review, prior to their scheduled interview time.
Finalists will have one final culture interview with the President of the University.
The Art of Education University is committed to taking the time to find the right fit for our positions. This process may be more rigorous than you are used to. We have set up several interview steps to make sure this will be mutually beneficial to both our institution and our next new team member. We hope you take this journey with us!
- Interested applicants should complete the application packet and upload a current resume by February 26, 2021.
- Candidates selected for an interview will be notified as applications are submitted.
- Anticipated position start date of March 15, 2021
How to Apply | This Is Me |