TOMY is a global leader in the creation of children’s toys and games and we have an open position for a top-level experienced Design Director with a true passion for creating toys, games and children’s entertainment products with an innate and proven ability to create fun, innovative and rewarding experiences for them. A candidate with a high level of multi-disciplinary brand and product development experience and people management is key. We are looking for a pioneer in helping us both commercially and innovatively grow our product portfolio across all categories of toy development.
Education: Degree in Industrial/Product related Design; with a minimum 10 years as a Design Leader
Primary Responsibilities: Work hand in hand with the VP of Global Toy Design to;
• Autonomously drive multiple product lines from concept to production
• Interact, manage and build long term relationships with all partners, including internal teams, external designers, inventors and stakeholders
• Generate ‘best in class’ highly creative product concepts and product programs with commercial awareness and validity
• Manage, mentor and develop a team of product and industrial designers. Be an ambassador for team engagement.
• Have the skill set to identify and execute new product opportunities for business growth within TOMY’s core brands and also be able to identify opportunities for new brand development.
• Be a champion for product innovation throughout the organization creating multiple new business opportunities throughout the fiscal year
• Create (and drive the creation of) all materials to communicate product concepts in any medium that will drive the design process forwards
• Be an advocate and expert of the fast changing world of children’s product, understanding trends, fashions and new technologies that will help positively impact our business
• Identifying new gaps and/or white space in the market and formulating plans for new opportunities
• Participate autonomously in necessary conversations with Brand, Product Integrity, Engineering, Sales, International teams, Production Staff in HK and China as well as Head Office stakeholders in Japan
• Expert proven knowledge and passion of the creation toys and how children play and interact with them
• Identify new ways to streamline and increase efficiency in the product development process, including speed to market
• Being able to adapt to; and take advantage of an ever-changing business environment to push the business forward
• Work hand in hand with our licensing partners. A proven background of pitching for new business is essential
• Present product programs to internal and external stakeholders, including TOMY’s executive management and retail buyers
• Top class design skills with excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative suite, Rhino / Soildworks / Keyshot, Office and Keynote/PowerPoint.
• Excellent, top level conceptual thinking that will drive new and existing product categories forward
• Excellent understanding of mechanics, engineering and design methodology
• Excellent understanding of product costing
• Excellent Understanding of multiple materials and manufacturing processes
• Excellent communications skills, particularly in the creation and delivery of product presentations, internal updates and working with the inventor community
• High level sketching and rendering ability with a toyetic style.
• Ability to articulate insight driven design solutions
• Ability to autonomously work with licensors and developing long term trusted partnerships
• Ability to manage, mentor, inspire and develop multiple designers
• Strong strategic thinker
• Naturally seeking new creative opportunities and solutions to push our product portfolio forwards
• An attitude of being a team player and ‘playing to win’
• Proven track record of being a high performer and true professional in everything that you do.
This role will require occasional international and domestic travel.
This role is specifically targeted to Design Leaders currently within the toy industry that have a high level of strategic experience in creating new toy and game products and have proven people management skills. Regrettably we will not be taking applicants outside of the skills and requirements listed above.