Curatorial Affairs Department
Full time, Exempt Position
Starting Hourly Range: $90,000 - $110,000 depending on qualifications
The Exhibition Designer is responsible for designing installations for special exhibitions and the permanent collection.
In this role, you will….
• Serve on exhibition planning teams which plan all aspects of exhibition conceptualization, selection, and execution.
• Recommend and present installation proposals, plans, and budgets for approval including physical layout and arrangement of objects, design of mounts, choice of color, fabric and other materials, arrangement of visitor amenities, etc.
• Monitor expenditures to assure budget is adhered to and the installation is completed without cost overruns.
• Oversee lighting design of exhibition and permanent galleries.
• Work with Design & Editorial staff to design signage, panels, labels, and other graphics.
• Collaborate with other staff on educational programs, development of exhibition budgets, review of installation plans not developed by the Exhibition Designer to ensure it meets overall museum design scheme, etc.
To be successful in this role…
You are organized, creative, energized, and have an eye for detail. You have extensive museum exhibition design experience and can plan and implement exhibition design plans that meet museum display standards and are ADA accessible. You are proficient in AutoCAD or equivalent software and can work collaboratively with others.
• Bachelor’s degree in design or studio arts or equivalent, related experience.
• Extensive experience in museum exhibition design, particularly in two-dimensional and three-dimensional/spatial work.
• Demonstrated knowledge of space planning, exhibition lighting, fabrication of exhibition furniture, production of design drawings and construction documents.
• Knowledge and proficiency with Auto-CAD or equivalent software.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
• Knowledge of collections management program a plus.
• Master’s degree in fine arts or design a plus.
We at the Minneapolis Institute of Art aim to be an audience-centered, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone is welcome. To achieve this aim, we are Mission Driven, Generous, Agile, Emotionally Aware, and Positive. We endeavor to create a workplace culture where we are responsible to one another, to our visitors, and to ourselves to do our best work.
To be considered for this position, please apply online at https://jobs-artsmia.submittable.com/submit.
Open until filled.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER