We’re looking for a Software Developer, Data Technology who can design, build, test, and ship high quality software that delivers business value to our stakeholders. You will be an integral part of the team that builds our data architecture, working in an agile fashion to evolve our products, processes, and data technology. This role reports to the Manager, Data Technology and is based in Hootsuite’s Vancouver office (post COVID19) or remotely across Canada or the US (in accordance with Hootsuite's local employment entities).
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work within a cross-functional team (including analysts, product managers, and other developers) to deliver data products and services to our internal stakeholders
- Design, write, test, and deploy scalable code
- Implement our technical roadmap as we scale our services and build new data products
- Maintain standards of security, reliability, performance, and quality
- Participate in code reviews, attend regular team meetings, and apply software development best practices
- Take ownership of your work, and work autonomously when necessary
- Recognize opportunities to improve efficiency in our data systems and processes, increase data quality, and enable consistent and reliable results
- Participate in the design and implementation of our next generation data platform to empower Hootsuite with data
- Perform other related duties as assigned
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering, and intermediate-level experience in developing and maintaining software or an equivalent level of education or work experience, and a track record of substantial contributions to software projects with high business impact
- Experience writing clean code that performs well at scale; ideally experienced with languages like Python, Scala, Java, Go, and shell script
- Passionate interest in data engineering and infrastructure; ingestion, storage and compute in relational, NoSQL, and serverless architectures
- Experience with various types of data stores, query engines and frameworks, e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, S3, Redshift/Spectrum, Presto/Athena, Spark
- Experience working with message queues such as Kafka and Kinesis
- Experience developing data pipelines and integrations for high volume, velocity and variety of data
- Experience with data warehousing and data modeling best practices
- Open Communication: clearly conveys thoughts, both written and verbally, listening attentively and asking questions for clarification and understanding
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Self Development: is personally committed to, and actively works to continuously improve
- Decision Making: work with your peers and leaders to build consensus and choose a direction forward. When required, you drive this process.
- Problem Solving: uses an organized and logical approach to find solutions to complex problems. Looks beyond the obvious to understand the root cause of problems
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues, and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
Share our values: We champion the power of human connection. We’re united globally by our shared values of innovation, grit, humility, and passion for customer success.
Make an impact: Working at the speed of social, we create value for our customers by delivering solutions that power relationships at scale. Our pace of work enables fast learning and fosters an environment where you can stretch yourself and make an impact.
Learn and grow: We’re committed to growing the capabilities of our people. We are building a learning community where you can work with diverse individuals, explore new ways of thinking, and expand your capabilities. Our employees are teachers and learners who work out loud and share their knowledge to enhance each other’s growth.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring. Our purpose is to champion the power of human connection and the heart of connection is inclusion. You belong here.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.