About Tokyo Academics:
We are Tokyo’s leading academic tutoring, test preparation, and college admissions counseling company, providing world-class education in the heart of Tokyo. TA is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics in Tokyo, Japan. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends tutoring at a tiny restaurant in Tokyo into an organization of academic, test prep, and college admissions experts, helping students to realize and reach their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
Over the last 8 years, we have grown consistently year after year, and we are constantly expanding our line of services. We started with private test prep tutoring, and now we offer academic tutoring, group classes, online learning, college admissions counseling, boarding school admissions counseling, coding classes, and student research (also running one of the only international high school research conferences in the world). We are hoping to expand our services beyond Tokyo, to other parts of Japan, Asia, and the world.
We are looking for a Director of Operations for our College Counseling Division. You will be working remotely or in-person to help our team grow our division, manage a team of counselor, and develop our program’s strength. An ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset and is great with customers as they will take customer feedback and implement it into our program.
What you will be responsible for:
- Managing a team of 6-10 counselors and 5-10 internal team members
- Develop and set goals, targets, and KPI’s for the division. You will lead the team in execution strategy and report on your targets to members of management.
- Creating marketing campaigns and maintaining a constant pulse on the customer experience from the customer use case to user persona to competitive landscape – through regular customer contact and monitoring of the enterprise software security market.
- Working with the Program Manager to review and maintain a high quality of client care amongst our counselors.
- Plan, staff, and supervise all division activities including recruiting, personnel administration, performance management and review, defining functions, responsibilities, etc.
- Manage and maintain the division budget and work with our finance team to develop monthly financial reporting.
- Working with the program manager to provide customer care to parents and students enrolled in the program. This includes goal setting, regular follow ups, onboarding, and receiving feedback.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is results-oriented
- Can manage their time effectively
- Can work independently to solve problems
- Can adjust support based on team members’ individualized personalities and needs
- Identifies gaps in own knowledge/skill and seeks support
- Delegates tasks to others when appropriate
- Has excellent interpersonal skills (interacting with students, parents, and counselors)
- Has both clear and concise oral and written communication
- Is self-driven and has the capability and confidence to interface effectively with senior leaders and multiple stakeholders
- Has strong business acumen, excellent communication skills, influencing skills, and planning/project management skills
- Thrives in a fast paced, rigorous environment with changing priorities
- Has a entrepreneurial mindset and is interested in taking charge of building a division from the ground up
- Bachelor’s Degree or above
- Language: Native English
- 2+ years of experience in a similar operations role
- In-depth knowledge of US, UK, or Canadian college admissions process preferred
- Competitive compensation package (70,000 – 110,000 USD depending on experience)
- Bonuses based on performance and company growth
- Fully remote
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Joining a growing bootstrapped company with a lot of potential for growth
- Autonomy to implement ideas and have a significant impact
- 40 hours per week, must be available during regular business hours of 10am-7pm Japan time