The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Join our team to take the web back to its roots and achieve that original mission.
We’re a team of passionate optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Objective of the Role
We're looking for a skilled Senior Software Engineer who cares about efficiency and building maintainable software. Our challenges include scaling for rapid response and servicing our millions of users to consistently provide them with valuable data. Furthermore, we strive to create a fast yet reliable platform which enables our product engineers to continuously ship updates to the end user.
- Develop and implement Java-based services (REST- and message-driven)
- Design databases for high-performance data access in distributed relational and non-relational databases
- Build efficient batch and stream processing pipelines to handle our big data workloads
- Create robust and evolvable solutions with quality of service and data integrity in mind
- In-depth understanding of Java
- Expert knowledge of developing REST services (Dropwizard, Kubernetes)
- Experience working with queue-based patterns (Kafka)
- Experience with scalable distributed systems
- Proficient in SQL (Hive)
- Know-how of No-SQL databases (MongoDB, HBase)
- Experience working with Hadoop related technologies like Flink, MapReduce, HBase, Hive and HDFS
- Experience writing search indexes (Solr, Lucene)
- Very good command of English
- You excel at building maintainable, efficient, and scalable software
- You are motivated to deep-drive into challenging problems, including the understanding, planning, and execution as well as verification of the solution
- You are skilled in analyzing and optimising code for performance and stability
- You enjoy working with great people in a lean environment
- You understand our mission and want to help us achieve it
You'll be working in a dynamic company culture with the possibility to individually shape your own professional development and growth. Enjoy an energetic and international team who are passionate about changing science for the better.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with, so we can quickly find the role that suits you best and lets you start making an impact straight away.
We're located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome.