Tighten is seeking a Laravel programmer to join our fully remote team. On top of being a highly effective coder, the ideal candidate will be an extremely effective communicator, both verbally and in writing, and should have informed opinions about how to deliver top-quality software in a professional context.
We also welcome applicants who aren't sure if they meet all of the qualifications of this job posting. Very few things are absolutely inflexible if someone fits in every other way, and even if they are, we've often hired programmers who didn't get hired the previous time around. If you think you’ve got what it takes, but you’re worried you might be missing one qualification or another, we think you should go for it!
Why you should consider applying
Over the past 9 years, we have been building what we believe to be one of the best small software companies anywhere. We measure this not just by our ability to deliver first-rate software for our clients, but by our ability to nurture and sustain an environment where people can thrive, both personally and professionally. This is easy to say, and a lot harder to do.
Here are some of the ways that we’ve designed our company to support the ongoing development of our people:
- We don’t work overtime. Put in a good day’s work and go back to the rest of your life.
- We put each developer on a single project at a time. Immerse yourself, and don’t burn energy on context-switching.
- We work time-and-materials. We’re selling our effort, not a list of deliverables agreed on by salespeople.
- We set aside Fridays for professional development, open source contribution, and internal efforts.
- We are developer-driven. Our client engagement model has been, and continues to be, heavily informed by the day-to-day experience of our developers.
- We don’t work when we’re not well. Your physical and mental well-being are equally important parts of being a healthy person and worker.
- We foster interests outside of technology and programming and we share our knowledge with our colleagues at monthly lunch-and-learns.
- We aim to avoid unaddressed conflict. Say what you mean, respectfully, and expect the same from your colleagues.
- We are personal-life-friendly. Shape your work day around your personal or family life, not the other way around.
- We hire outstanding people. Each and every person who works with us is a good, thoughtful, and conscientious individual. This fact makes us extremely proud, and it also makes coming to work a pleasure rather than a chore.
- We are self-funded, financially healthy, and profitable. We’ve never taken a dime of anyone else’s money, we manage our finances carefully, and we’ve been profitable every year since our inception.
- And more! Please feel free to ask us questions about these or any other benefits in the interview!
Diversity and Inclusion
We strive to assemble and maintain the highest quality, most effective team of people we can. We know that the best teams have a broad variety of perspectives, and that new perspectives come from a diversity of backgrounds and experiences. These goals and beliefs lead us to actively seek a team that includes people from groups who have been traditionally underrepresented in the tech industry and in our company.
- Ability to work continental-US hours (full overlap with ~9-5 in Pacific, Mountain, Central, or Eastern time zones)
- Access to consistent, high-speed Internet
- Fluency in English language
- Ability to self-manage and -organize in remote work environments
- Willingness to work in a variety of agency contexts (client work, internal product work, long-running projects, etc.)
- Attention to detail: mention a capybara in your application
- Interest in and willingness to learn new technologies, refine your skill set, and keep your skills sharp in an ever-evolving tech landscape
- Proficient in Laravel
- Proficient in React or Vue.js
- Proficient in HTML & CSS
- Proficient in modern object-oriented PHP
- Proficient in modern web development tooling
- Experience with unit and integration testing
- Proficient in unit and integration testing
- Experience with TDD
- Experience with Tailwind CSS
- Familiarity with web standards and accessibility
- Working knowledge of graphic design, typography, and user experience principles
- Experience with hybrid native mobile platforms like React Native or NativeScript-Vue
- Experience with containerization tools like Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with DevOps or modern server management practices
- Work from anywhere that overlaps w/ continental US timezones (we’re 100% remote)
- Competitive salary ($80k-100k, depending on experience and other factors)
- Quarterly profit sharing
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- 401(k) with generous employer match
- 3 weeks paid time off and 14 paid holidays
- 2 weeks of sick leave to use when you need it
- Support for professional development (conference attendance, support for speaking at local meet-ups, etc.)
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Student loan support