Imagine if adolescent education was designed for all students to develop lives of meaning and purpose. In 2015 Project Wayfinder was founded at the Stanford d.school to answer this call. We partner with educators to design innovative learning experiences that foster meaningful relationships and guide students to navigate their lives with purpose. With our fifth academic year upon us, our Curriculum toolkits + trainings have journeyed to over 20,000 students, 1000 teachers, 200 schools across 25 states and 20 countries. For more background on our origin see this profile of Wayfinder in KQED's Mindshift.
We are a fast-moving organization that is scaling up sales/outreach in a variety of locations across the country, primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area and Boston Area. We are an entirely remote organization. As such this role can be anywhere in North America.
WHAT WE VALUE
You will be joining a staff of incredibly motivated and dedicated staff members that are committed to living the values of our organization. We have a very close culture where team members get to know one another and build lifelong relationships. We also feel and act like a purpose-driven organization. To the best of our abilities each person's role aligns with their own sense of purpose which feeds into the organizations larger sense of purpose.
Read this article by our Founder about our workplace culture in Conscious Company.
We also value equity, diversity, and inclusion. This is represented primarily in three ways: our curriculum, our staff, and our schools.
Curriculum: We have intentionally developed our curriculum to be able to cross national, racial, and socio-economic boundaries. During the process of curriculum development, we have had over 30 educators work on and develop the curriculum from a variety of backgrounds.
Team: Our team is composed of people from a diverse range of backgrounds and life experience. We intentionally recruit, hire, and work with people from diverse identities + experiences. We strongly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented populations in tech - such as women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people, etc - to apply!
School Partners: We intentionally target a wide array of educational partners from traditional to non-traditional that work with a range of students from different socioeconomic groups: we have taught our curriculum in low income schools in the Bronx, independent schools in Silicon Valley, and after-school programs in San Antonio.
Learn more: Project Wayfinder Team + School Partners
We are looking for an experienced Curriculum and Training Designer to join our team and develop our products and trainings as we grow. We are aiming to double our school partners in each of the next three years. By 2021 we want to reach more than 30,000 students in 300 schools. Therefore, we need a growing, motivated team to help us achieve these goals.
Curriculum Development + Creation
- Brainstorm in-person and virtual experiences for middle and high school students with team of curriculum designers
- Write lesson guides including suggested flows, research backgrounds, virtual adaptations, additional activities, slide decks to support lessons
- Lead our efforts to ensure all curricula are deeply aligned with anti-racist and trauma-informed educational practices
- Create supporting materials for teachers such as curriculum manuals, DEI + trauma informed principles, virtual learning principles, etc.
- Work with design team to design tools to support the curriculum (i.e. card decks, meditation recordings, music playlists, reading lists, experiential activities)
- Curate classroom resources to supplement curricula including videos, articles, project ideas, etc.
- Work with software developers to design ways to share the curricula through the Wayfinder app
- Upload and implement curriculum on Wayfinder's app
- Schedule and conduct empathy interviews and focus groups with students and teachers
- Read and compile academic research (articles and books)
- Coordinate, design, and facilitate programming for annual Design Week gathering
- Manage educator prototyping process (reaching out to educators, tracking opportunities, recording feedback)
- Schedule opportunities for direct prototyping and directly prototype with students
- Revise activities to respond to feedback
- Support research and development for new products
- Collaborate with team on other design projects that support the larger mission of Project Wayfinder.
Training Design + Implementation
- Work closely with Director of School Success and Trainings to develop live and asynchronous training programming for all existing, and new, Wayfinder curricula
- Support Director of School Success and Trainings to create all content for trainings such as slide decks, videos, prep materials, etc.
- Support Director of School Success and Trainings to host asynchronous and synchronous trainings through the Wayfinder app
- Lead our efforts to ground all training programming and materials in anti-racist and trauma-informed educational practices, such as supporting teachers to address their personal biases and understanding context.
- Lead trainings/PDs for school partners (virtually during COVID, then some travel will be required post COVID) throughout the year
- Track school satisfaction, collect and monitor feedback, and implement changes as needed
- Lead trainings for Wayfinder staff and support internal efforts towards creating a culture that is focused on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and committed to being anti-racist.
- Design and facilitate sessions at Summer Institute and other Wayfinder events for both teachers and students.
QUALIFICATIONS + SKILLS
At a high level, we are looking for a highly motivated, fast relationship-builder, who is a demonstrated self-starter. This person needs to have the drive to make sure our product and brand are to the highest design standards. Below we have listed out some things we are looking for; you do not necessarily need to check all these boxes to be eligible for this position. Here are some components we think that includes:
- 5+ years of curriculum design experience, including social emotional learning design experience
- 5+ years of experience developing trainings and/or professional development for educators
- Proven Diversity, Equity + Inclusion expert, with strong track record designing experiences that explicitly address topics of diversity, oppression, and belonging.
- Excellent facilitation skills both in-person and virtual
- Big sky thinker in terms of product development for in-person, virtual, and blended learning experiences.
- Welcomes Feedback: Ability to welcome and appreciate direct feedback and collaboration.
- Attention to Detail: Extremely attentive to detail and nuance in curriculum design.
- Self-Motivated: Consistent and relentless self-starter who takes initiative while knowing when to ask for support and direction.
- Organized: You are going to be working across multiple products so a high level of organization is essential.
- Flexible: Comfortable pivoting quickly to meet the needs of our school partners.
- Background in K-12 or College Education
- Diverse Experience: Experience designing for diverse groups of people (i.e. students from different socioeconomic backgrounds, cultures, geographies, etc.)
- Personal Growth: Demonstrated commitment to meaning-making and purpose in your own life outside of work
We offer a competitive package that is based on location and experience. We also offer the following benefits:
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: Medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreat, and celebrations.
- Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
- Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don't work at the office every day.
- ...And much more! Lots of other perks make this company an incredible place to work.