WHAT IS TEAMSHARES?
Teamshares helps small businesses become employee-owned. You can think of us as a hybrid of a software company, an investment company, an education company, and a support network.
WHY WE EXIST:
Teamshares’ mission to expand employee ownership addresses three major problems for small businesses that make up 98% of US firms in our economy, and their employees:
- Most small businesses don’t outlast their founder. When original owners want to retire, they often struggle to sell—failing 80% of the time—and have to fold the company. Years of knowledge and customer loyalty, not to mention people’s jobs, are lost. We believe that employees are the natural successors for these companies, but they just need some support.
- The majority of Americans have very few assets or savings. People work hard every day, often with very little to show for it: 75% of Americans have less than $5,000 in savings. Employee ownership gives workers a very valuable asset: stock in the company where they work. And the better their company does, the more their asset is worth!
- Small businesses lack support & innovation. Because small businesses lack the infrastructure and resources that corporations have, their technology and their business practices are often behind the times. Very few quality networks exist to provide information or resources to small businesses to help them grow.
There hasn’t been an easy way for small businesses to become employee-owned before. Teamshares has designed a way to make this transition easier at scale, supporting a sector of the economy that has been severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Collaborate with product, design, and business ops teams to build software that addresses these unique problems:
- Identifying, evaluating, and acquiring companies that best fit our model
- Creating the preeminent management system and software for how small businesses should operate and self-govern
- Building digital education experiences that teach financial fluency and make employee-ownership tangible and actionable
- Drive technical architecture decisions that lay the foundation of our digital products for years to come
- Solve problems with a measurable impact: we’re helping thousands of low/mid-income employees across America earn 5-6 figure ownership stakes through our model of participatory capitalism
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 3+ years experience developing user-facing features in a modern web stack (Ruby on Rails strongly preferred)
- An empathetic approach to and passion for solving customer problems. You’re able to think in terms of product, not just code.
- A creative, entrepreneurial mindset. You love jumping into new problem spaces and figuring out the right solution.
WHY JOIN US?
We believe in supporting every team member with a generous benefits package:
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional medical, dental, and vision benefits plans
- 401k plan
- Paid parental leave
- We value time off and actually take our vacations
- Healthy work-life balance culture that checks egos at the door and truly unplugs at the end of the day
- Support for ongoing training and development
- Our 18-person team is spread all across the country—you can live and work anywhere you like.
We’re committed to our core values
- Trust comes first
- Take initiative
- Act thoughtfully
- Show empathy
- Make things better
- Be dependable