Mobile is a Division of Tucows that enables telecommunication companies to operate across the world. We’re looking for Software Engineers to help build the next generation of Ting Mobile Services. Speaking of the team, it’s a bunch of smart, ambitious and motivated developers. Given that you share these qualities, you’ll fit right in.
We work in real-time on live systems… so it requires a steady hand and a cool head. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong (we’re optimists… but we’re also realists) and that needs to be accounted for.
Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, we have employees all over the world. We welcome applications from people who wish to work remotely.
This is a completely remote opportunity within Canada and USA.
Here’s what you can expect your work experience to look like:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform
- Get to know team members working with you
- Implement small stories and fix bugs
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
- Understand our roadmap and goals
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Help in building the engineering practice within your team
- Collaborate with other team members to drive projects forward
In the first year:
- Design, build, and deploy new high performance services
- Set long term goals and drive the team towards achieving those goals
- Own technical projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Work with team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
- Refactor/rewrite some legacy services to improve scalability, observability and other cool stuff related to clean code!
What you’ll bring:
- A passion for writing clean code and solving problems at scale
- 3+ years of professional experience with Ruby
- Solid understanding of Event Driven Architecture
- Experience with Kafka
- Advocacy for automated testing
- Passion for observability
- Demonstrated performance tuning skills
- Experience with SQL & RDBMS
- Familiarity with using version control systems
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Experience with API application development
- Very good overall communication skills (verbal and written)
- Positive and constructive attitude
Nice to have:
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Contributions to an open-source project (of any kind)
- An account on Github.com with samples of your code
- Experience in the telecoms space
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.